Englander 30-NC - Blower or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creek-Chub

Hearth Supporter
Nov 13, 2007
Niles, MI
Howdy fellas,

Took most of the summer off of the computer to get a jump on my 2010/11 wood, and it has paid off. That said, it's about time to fire up the Englander 30 again, and I've got a question.

Background: big old house, good insulation in spots, not-so-good in others. I've put insulation everywhere that I could reach, weatherstripped, caulked the hell out of the place, etc. Last year was my first with the 30-NC, and I was extremely pleased. I won't tell you what my propane bill was the year before, but suffice to say I paid for the stove in less than two months.

Question: How important is it to have the blower on this stove? It puts off tons of heat, but we had some -20 degree days last year that left me wanting for more. Big difference with the blower, or no? The money isn't really a concern, but this is a fireplace install, and it's going to be a pain to pull the stove out and strap on the blower. Thoughts?

My 30-NC has been inside my fireplace for three seasons with a blower. I have tried it with and without and you will not believe the difference with the blower. The only downside is that to ever clean the blower, which is gonna have to happen sometime, you have to pull the stove out to do it. I am going to try to make one more season with out doing it.

Do it. You won't be disappointed. The way the rear heat shield is formed mine shoots the hot air straight across the family room into the kitchen and pulls the cold air back across the floor to the stove keeping the room the stove is in liveable.

Unfortunately, that's what I was really looking to hear. This is going to be a pain, but I'll do it. My clearances (height) were so tight, that I ended up shortening the legs about an inch, and still had to hit the top of the stove collar with an angle grinder to get it in. Then getting the liner seated was another joy. I'll take your word for it though. The room the stove is in is about 30x30, so I'm curious to see if it can heat us out of there. Guess I'll order the blower. Thanks!

Get the six inch legs for it. Makes fitting it in the fireplace a lot easier than the nine inch ones that come with it.

I don't think they ever changed that height dimension on their website like they told me they would. It is or was for one with six inch legs.

The legs I have are about 5 1/4". Not exactly sure how they got that way, but I'm guessing there was a torch and some welding going on... :coolhmm:

Good to hear you intend to add a blower to the stove...you wont regret it.

poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook said:
considering the hassle & expense , i'd try blowing a fan on the front when extra heat is needed.

I am sure you would.

Like Bart said it makes a huge difference!

I have the same basic "in the fireplace setup" as Bart does.

Its certainly worth the money and pulling the stove out to install it.

Honestly the only time I don't really use it is during parts of the shoulder season.

Looking at the photos of the blower, it looks like the rheostat is mounted right on the blower. When I shove this into the fireplace opening, I won't be able to reach it. How do you guys work around that? How exactly does it work?

Cool. I'm assuming no "auto" on/off feature with this thing? Manually turn it on and off?

BrotherBart said:
BrotherBart said:
Creek-Chub said:
Cool. I'm assuming no "auto" on/off feature with this thing? Manually turn it on and off?

For auto on and off you use this. I use the two together.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SA-9600
dat elctric line gonna be offul close to stove ainit?

Yeah. Connected to it in fact.
kinda clashes with 1 of ur objections of MAGIC HEAT, eh?

Not at all. A cord connected behind the heat shield and only three inches off the floor is exposed to a lot less heat than one hanging up in the air next to a flue pipe directly over the stove.

BrotherBart said:
BrotherBart said:
BrotherBart said:
Creek-Chub" date="1252457692 said:

For auto on and off you use this. I use the two together.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SA-9600
dat elctric line gonna be offul close to stove ainit?

Yeah. Connected to it in fact.
kinda clashes with 1 of ur objections of MAGIC HEAT, eh?

Not at all. A cord connected behind the heat shield and only three inches off the floor is exposed to a lot less heat than one hanging up in the air next to a flue pipe directly over the stove.

Magic Heat is French for a fool with a dogma.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you two fellas have a history? %-P

Thanks again for the help Bart...

Creek-Chub said:

:lol:

BrotherBart said:
Creek-Chub said:

:kiss: :question:

Two limbs in one day is a stretch for me, but I'll go out on another limb and say this probably isn't the first time you "didn't get it".

Creek-Chub said:
BrotherBart said:
Creek-Chub said:

:kiss: :question:

Two limbs in one day is a stretch for me, but I'll go out on another limb and say this probably isn't the first time you "didn't get it".
duh?

Quote just for the sake of quoting and adding to the mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.