Englander 30-NC: "Custom" leg modification - Hello Stoveguy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creek-Chub

Nov 13, 2007
Niles, MI
Okay, I seem to recall this being discussed, but can't find the thread...

I'm stuffing a 30-NC into an existing fireplace, and coming up just a tad short on height. I'm looking at either a fairly extensive hearth modification to pick up some additional height, or a fairly un-substantial stove modification to achieve the same goal. The stove will sit atop a 3 inch thick concrete pad with rebar running through it, which sits atop concrete blocks that run down into a crawl space and sit atop a concrete footer. R-value up the wazoo. No issues there.

The question: Off the record (ah-hem, Mr. Stoveguy) am I in jeapordy of burning down my house if I trim my stove's legs down an inch or so to allow it to fit into my fireplace opening? I know the stove has been tested and engineered for certain clearances, but in the real world, given what the stove will be sitting on(not a pre-fab 2-inch hearth pad, for example), would you fellas say I'm "playing with fire", or are my expectations reasonable?

Okay, fire away!

Reactions: lostDuck
Do you have the 9" legs or 6" legs on there now?

Currently still on the pedestal, (not installed), but the 9" legs (which I plan to use in place of the pedestal) were included. Should I take this to mean that there is a 6-inch leg kit available? If so, I would be more than happy to order the short leg kit and call it good.

Thanks...

hog is right , order the 6 inch leg kit problem solved. and to answer your question (obviously off da record) cutting down the legs an inch would not cause the stove to melt your house. it was tested with the 6 inch legs so using the 6 inchers would not be a violation of UL listing (though technically trimming down the 9 inchers would void the listing as it would be an "unauthorized alteration".

I love a happy ending ;)

Well, I guess a better question would have been to ask if a short leg kit were available, eh? Anybody want to trade a pedestal and 9" legs for a set of 6" legs? :) Thanks fellas!

Mike,

Any chance that you folks would entertain swapping the 6" legs for the 9" one I have? Heck, I could even send back the pedestal and you guys would come out pretty well. Just a thought...

Thanks,
Nick

Edit: I figured that rather than waste your time I would (Doh!) call customer service. The gal was extremely helpful, although she seemed certain that the standard legs shipped with the stove are 6". Tech support worked it all out, and they will be shipping me out a set of the 6" legs as soon as I can get to the stove to give them my serial #, model, #, etc. I haven't burned a single log in this thing yet, but I think I'm going to end up pretty happy...

Well, as it turns out Englander wasn't able to swap out my 9" legs for a 6" set. I would rather not have to shell out $120 for the new legs if I can avoid it. Anyone want to trade a brand new pedestal and 9" legs for your 6" legs?

Creek-Chub said:
Well, as it turns out Englander wasn't able to swap out my 9" legs for a 6" set. I would rather not have to shell out $120 for the new legs if I can avoid it. Anyone want to trade a brand new pedestal and 9" legs for your 6" legs?

A $120 set of legs is more in the league of Elliot Spitzer than us guys. Surely cutting those puppies down isn't going to cause you a problem. I have no idea of what they are shaped like but hell if they come to a pad of sorts that joins an "L" shape together you can always weld the small pad portion back on in the new location. Thats something I would do my simple self in half an hour or less and still be assured that it is at least as strong as it was before. If you don't weld jack that beast up and set it on blocks while you get it done. Find one of the smaller neighborhood shops that likes green $$ and no reciepts. Lastly find out how much up front before you commit, ( thats why they are right there in your hand. Hit it with the grinder and some paint and aint nobody gotta know but you. Best to leave UL, the EPA and the PTA out of it all.............................

Status
Not open for further replies.