Englander 30 NC Side Heat Shield Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BIGChrisNH

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2015
New Hampshire
Hello,
I ordered the side heat shields a little while back, and when I got them I thought "well this will be a no-brainer to install these, no rush." When I went to screw them on, I saw that there are three holes on the back of the stove on both the left and right sides, there are corresponding holes in the heat shields. Any moron can screw a screw through a hole right? But here's the thing, the holes on the back of the stove do not appear to be threaded, either that or the screws they gave me are juuuuust slightly too large for the holes themselves. I got aggravated with it and put them back in the box, and have forgotten to call customer service, which is now of course closed. I'll call them tomorrow if I don't forget again.

So my question is, has anyone else here ran into this problem?

Are the provided screws self-tappers?

No they are not, that was going to be my fix. I'm not sure if it's even worth calling customer service and asking about it. The screws wouldn't cost much. They are flat ended screws, that would screw nicely into a pre-threaded hole.

I would wait on a reply from customer service ..but you could run a tap into the holes ..and match up to some threaded screws ...

Well, I finally got through to customer service. The man on the phone sounded mystified by my situation. He said a 5/16" screw should fit. He couldn't answer whether or not the holes in the back of the stove should be threaded. He did not seem to have much knowledge of the product or what kind of screws should come with it. So, I'll head to the hardware store and buy some 5/16" screws and see what happens.

I would get self-tapping 5/16" machine screws.

I would get self-tapping 5/16" machine screws.
That's exactly what i did and it worked like a charm. Shields are on the stove stinking up the house right now, haha. Also, the high temp on the wall I recorded with my IR thermometer before the shields were installed was 184 F. High so far tonight with the shields was 127 F, but I'm having a smaller fire.

Late to the dance, but mine came with hex head pointed sheet metal screws.

Late to the dance, but mine came with hex head pointed sheet metal screws.
Thanks for weighing in Bart. Mine came with hex head, but they were not pointed. But they're on the stove now so it's good.

shipping to canada is going to kill me...would anyone be kind enough to give me the dimmensions of the shield so i can go to the metal shop....i technically only need one side so the purchase of a "kit" seems wasteful

Hi CageMaster, I am just seeing your message now. I went on the Englander website but the listing for the heat shields lists no sizing, however they are as deep and tall as the stove itself so you can probably pull the measurements that way. If I can remember I'll measure mine tonight when I'm home.