englander 30 nc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eggie

Nov 21, 2013
pgh
hi everyone, new to the forum i wound like to know if i could use the englander 30nc to heat 1000sf , i know its not a big space but i want a over nite burn, thanks for any info.

Welcome Eggie!

I burned in a 30 for 2 years and it is a great stove... lots of heat and fairly bullet proof to operate. If it were me, though, and I had 1000 sf and my goal was overnight burns I'd look first at a cat stove. Overnight burns are easy with a 30 but the stove will be making quite a bit of heat for that space. You can probably make it work. The 30 will keep 1000 sf warm overnight dialed low with a couple of big splits, but I think you'll be on the edge of smoldering. Do you have high ceilings and/or lots of windows? If yes, then going with a 30 might be the right thing so you'll have plenty of stove for the occaisional bitter cold snap. Otherwise, maybe the NC13 would be a better choice. There are many very satisfied 13 owners.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Yeah the 13 is a better fit. Or do like I do often, load just the back half of the 30 with about the same load as would fit in the 13-NC.

Did it this morning because it was cloudy and thirties when I got up and low forties all day. Stove was at 200 stove top 11 hours later and the bottom 1,200 ft. of this barn hung out around 75 all day.

Reactions: CenterTree
Are you trying to heat a 1000 sq foot area of your home (meaning is your house larger than 1000sq foot?) or Is your house only 1000 sq foot?

If you have a larger home than 1000sq foot the 30 may be nice.

If you are specifically looking to only heat 1000sq foot than it may be overkill.

It would probably be overkill if the stove is located on the floor your trying to heat. I have a 30 in my unfinished basement and it does a good job heating my 1st floor. The basement is about 900 sq ft, the 1st floor is the same.

Matt

Not a lot to chose from with that budget. Maybe try this one: http://www.lowes.com/pd_144104-4663...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

When I recall that correctly the firebox is around 2.4 cu ft. A little bit too large for you but you should easily get overnight burns in there. Here is the manual etc.:
http://www.ghpgroupinc.com/product-detail.aspx/large-wood-burning-stove-with-legs

Or try a mid-size Drolet stove: http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/wood/stoves/medium
Anything between a firebox size of 2 cu. ft to 2.3 cu ft. will be best.

Use the search function here or open a new thread if you want to get experiences with a specific stove.

Not a lot to chose from with that budget. Maybe try this one: http://www.lowes.com/pd_144104-46631-LWS-130291-B_4294765285__?productId=3260225&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

When I recall that correctly the firebox is around 2.4 cu ft. A little bit too large for you but you should easily get overnight burns in there. Here is the manual etc.:
http://www.ghpgroupinc.com/product-detail.aspx/large-wood-burning-stove-with-legs

Or try a mid-size Drolet stove: http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/wood/stoves/medium
Anything between a firebox size of 2 cu. ft to 2.3 cu ft. will be best.

Use the search function here or open a new thread if you want to get experiences with a specific stove.
how about the pleasant hearth 1800sf for $699

how about the pleasant hearth 1800sf for $699

I think that firebox is only 1.8 cu ft. You will want at least 2 cu ft. for overnight burns. Maybe visit your closest Lowe's and measure both out to make sure.

Essentially the stove you are looking for should have at least a firebox of 2 cu ft to maybe 2.5 cu ft and being labeled as "EPA-approved". (NOT EPA-exempt!)

The 1.8 cf will keep the joint warm with good wood and burning technique.

I would rather have an oversized stove that could burn through the night than an undersized one that let me freeze. You can always burn a smaller fire in the NC30.

The NC30 is only rated for some small SF area as well, like 1800 SF.

Reactions: eclecticcottage
Is your home drafty?Does it retain heat well? If it does, the 13 would work just fine. If it is a drafty bastard of a home, then you can get away with going larger.

whats a good used stove, found a in great shape lopi 520-96 for $600 would that be better than the englander 30, and would you guys buy it ?

Last edited:
I don't know as I've never run it. I was just comparing the price and floor protection. I got a look at the Pleasant Hearth last night and it looks like a decent stove. I've not run that one either.

whats a good used stove, found a in great shape lopi 520-96 for $600 would that be better than the englander 30, and would you guys buy it ?
I have bought 5 of the six stove I have had used. Two of the three stoves I have right now are used. Absolutely nothing wrong with buying a used stove, but you need to be sure the stove is not damaged, overfired, warped, or cracked.

I am unfamiliar with the Lopi 520-96. Lopi does make quality stoves, though. Not sure how old that stove is. You want to be sure you are getting a modern stove so it is an efficient stove. This will help you burn times for the most part.

The problem with the 30 is that it is very large. So, in theory, you will be able to overheat your home/stove room easily. Is your home well sealed and insulated or is it drafty and leaky? Be honest.

I have the 13nc little brother of the 30 I heat 1700 sqft easy in new to this but the other night I got 6-7 hr burn with her on good dry wood. The whole time iv kept my stove top around 500 which is low for the 13 but my house will stay 75-77 on that all day great little stove many more on here can vouch for it to.

installed in hunting camp, broke in and burning great. Photo0004.jpg

Reactions: Sons924 and raybonz
WOW, you posted here on Thursday to get info about buying a new stove and here you are with a PIC of one already installed!

Holy cats man.... I feel like the world's biggest procrastinator now._g

Stove looks good though.

WOW, you posted here on Thursday to get info about buying a new stove and here you are with a PIC of one already installed!

Holy cats man.... I feel like the world's biggest procrastinator now._g

Stove looks good though.
i had a old century stove there so the swap was very easy.

The 1.8 cf will keep the joint warm with good wood and burning technique.

and likely "overnite burns" as well.

I'm getting " overnites" loading good hard well seasoned red oak into a brandie new True North TN19 (1.9 cu ft ) loading full at 8PM and finding coals to get a fire going at 7AM. Certainly not big coals 11 hours later but they'll ignite paper /or chipboard. Stove is no longer "hot" but not stone cold either.

Status
Not open for further replies.