Englander 30 NCG installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jed Tyrney

Oct 31, 2013
Wyoming
Howdy Folks,
I just bought an Englander 30 NCG stove. I am going to install it where a woodstove was once installed on top of a tile ledge in a corner. I looked at the clearance to combustibles chart, it is calling for 15" from the corner to the wall. I have it lined up with the existing chimney box in the ceiling and I only have 11" to the wall from the corners of the stove. It is a wood lathe plaster wall so would I need to install some sort of wall protection to keep things from catching fire? Thanks!

Mike should chime in here shortly on this topic. How is the hearth constructed? This stove needs an R = 1.5 hearth insulation too.

wall protection will only get you to 12 inches even with heat shields on stove, would need to look at doing the NPFA 211 approved wall protection and still find another inch of clearance to meet the requirement

Put the stove at the required distance and put an offset in the connector. We had to do this. Be sure the hearth has sufficient insulation too.

Put two 15* elbows in the stove pipe to offset the stove out away from the wall a bit?

Edit: Crap, quick draw mcgraw beat me to it! ;lol

Mike should chime in here shortly on this topic. How is the hearth constructed? This stove needs an R = 1.5 hearth insulation too.
Howdy,
Thanks for the reply. So far what I can tell, it's tiled over a wood frame. We just bought the house not too long ago. Thanks!

Howdy,
Thanks for the reply. So far what I can tell, it's tiled over a wood frame. We just bought the house not too long ago. Thanks!

if its tiled over a wood frame (no additional protection its probably not going to meet the 1.5R requirement of the unit , would require reworking with additional heat protection to mount a 30

Sounds like I am going to need to rebuild the whole hearth!

unfortunately it does sound that way. shop online for "micore 300" this is the thinnest and highest R factor material for this type of structure im pretty sure "do it best" carries it in their online store , may be able to find a supplier through "us gypsum" as well

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.