Englander 30-NCH E/W Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I decided to give the Englander 30-NCH a burn tonight. During my learning curve on this stove, I've been burning N/S and while I like loading that way, the view of the splits burning is not what I consider great. So not needing a very hot burn tonight, I decided to try an E/W burn. To my surprise, I got a really nice burn AND an expecially nice looking burn. We really enjoyed seeing the flames rolling off the splits in the 30's big window with secondaries going too. Outside, the chimney was smoke free, the stove top settled in at 500 degrees and the surface temp on the flue pipe at about 320ish degrees. It has been going like that for several hours. We'll let it burn out for the night as that's all the heat we need for this evening.

Bottome lline - the Englander 30 looks a ton better (IMHO) when burning E/W.

Bill

And burns a E/W fully packed load like crap. Load it all the way up and get back to me in the morning. :lol:

Hope it works for ya. Ain't ever been able to do it myself. I get stupid once or twice every season and try it. And end up jacking a fully loaded bunch of splits around to N/S so I can go to bed. I do burn it E/W with three or four splits during the day though and yes it is a prettier show.

Yes, E/W for partial loads, N/S for full loads and when heavy duty heating chores are req'd. Just needed a bit of heat tonight and the E/W worked great. In as much as the firebox is fairly square, it's nice to to be able to burn either way with the same length splits.

BTW, still burning with the zipper air blocked off. I llike the even burn across the front of the stove so far. I may get rid of the zipper all together after a few months of tinkering with using it and not using it.

Thanks!
Bill

How are you getting rid of the zipper air?

Heatmiser5 said:
How are you getting rid of the zipper air?

Two magnets blocking the inlet holes to it under each front leg - but you have to remember this zipper air is unrestricted with no damper control, so when you shut the damper down, the zipper air is still flowing. When you block the zipper air, you can't fully shut down the damper or you got a 3.5 cu ft smoke dragon.

Bill

Is the zipper air the "blow torch" ?

leeave96 said:
I may get rid of the zipper all together after a few months of tinkering with using it and not using it.

Not like I did that four years ago or anything, it is a rumor, but if you do it put a piece of metal in that blank spot where the doghouse resided to even out the airflow to the center of the load.

BrotherBart said:
leeave96 said:
I may get rid of the zipper all together after a few months of tinkering with using it and not using it.

Not like I did that four years ago or anything, it is a rumor, but if you do it put a piece of metal in that blank spot where the doghouse resided to even out the airflow to the center of the load.

:coolgrin:

Yea, I've got your post somewhere where you did away with the zipper. One of the things I did tonight before I struck a match was look at the zipper to see if it was screwed down or welded for future planning purposes... ;)

Bill

Two screws. My doghouse is on a shelf in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.