englander 30 NCI any real pictures?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sons924

Burning Hunk
Mar 7, 2013
I was wondering if anyone had this insert installed and could post a couple pictures? Thank you in advance!

I'm sure there would be lots of pics if it was real. Unfortunately, the only insert is the much smaller 13.

Yep. There is no such thing as a 30-NCI. There is a 13-NCI.

126_2685-jpg.28897
100_0057_600-jpg.7664

The only installs of the 30 in a fireplace are the ones large/tall enough to fit the whole stove in. I have however seen people remove the legs and shove it in the fireplace, not exactly a kosher install.

I've been thinking about the idea of doing something like that.

You can't really find a large insert (3.0 cf firebox or more) for less than $1000. But decent stoves that size in that price range do exist. (Though I actually started thinking about it for the cast iron T6 which isn't available in an insert with that size firebox)

I don't understand why it isn't possible to put one of these large stoves inside a fireplace like an insert and get a very competent installer (or do it yourselfer) to in effect customize an insert around the stove -- removing the legs and ashpan, and using heatshields around the walls and top of the fireplace and raising the bottom up on sturdy materials like firebrick for colder air to enter, rise and circulate -- do what an insert does, but take full advantage of the entire fireplace firebox unlike a mfg insert which has to accomodate many fireplace openings.

As it is the stove inside a complying masonry fireplace should meet the clearances. The problem is capturing the heat output of the stove so it's handled the way a good insert is. Though I'm probably not seeing all the problems doing it.

Build a full size mock up out of cardboard; include the blower that sticks out the back, etc.
Then try to fit it in your fireplace.
That's what I did...then bought an insert. (No regrets either.)

You're probably right about the clearance. But many fireplaces run out of headroom fast.

Wasn't really speaking specifically about this stove in particular. Even so, not sure what the problem is with this one. I mean I was talking about not using the legs/base. And just about any insert in 3.0 cu ft range isn't going to completely sit inside the fireplace depth wise, rather, they will come out onto the hearth to some extent. Also, it isn't something you want to see just any and all wood burners do on their own without the support of a competent installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.