Englander 30 - new hearth; liner w/T Kit. Verbal walkthrough

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgibson

Jun 24, 2013
Baltimore, MD
First off, I can't remember if I did an introduction post last year when I joined, but I have been front to back on the threads about the Fisher stoves, which my house came with in the basement, when we bought it last year. (THANK YOU!)

Now that I'm a year into our new (to us) house, my wife and I finished a DIY carpet/subfloor (particle board) removal and install of new subfloor and hardwood flooring (hickory). We have an existing mantle in our family room, with an 8" diameter thimble, connected to a 11"2' (vertical) terracotta flue thats 7x11.5" inside diameter.

My plan, based on a LOT of research and thread reading:

install hearth w/ R-value of 1.9. (with 22" clearance in front of the stove front).

Install 6" liner T-kit with the 22" T extension for the thimble penetration from the FireSideChimneySupply.com. My reading on some other threads indicates that the Englander 30, requiring a 6" flu, will not get enough draw in the 7x11.5 flue.

Install Englander 30 to the 6" extended T-Kit protruding from the 8" thimble with 24g single wall stive pipe.
Seal the gap between the 6" t-kit extension penetrating through the 8" thimble with furnace cement.

shakedown run on new stove with small hot burns w/ "dry" seasoned wood.

I'm attaching some photos to help with the visualization.
20141007_162708.jpg 20140923_170900.jpg 20140923_170135.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome, sounds like you have been doing your homework. Is there a question? You might find it better to seal the gap around the thimble with fiberglass 7/8" rope gasket.

Reactions: wpgibson
Nice beginning to the hearth. Did you do the brick work?

Excellent idea on the fiberglass rope, I've been wracking my brain and searching for a good solution to sealing that gap.

I did not do the brick work, that was existing to the house when we bought it last year. I suspect that the Grandpa Fisher in our basement may have been connected to it at some time previously, and when it was moved to the basement, the old man's wife made him take out the hearth so she could carpet the whole room.GrandpaFisher.jpg

One question:

When I order the 6" single wall flex liner, should I go with the 1/2" insulation wrap, or do the pour-down mix? I ask this b/c I am concerned about having enough width in the 7x11.5 ID terracotta flue to get the 6" liner and insulation wrap into/down the 11' vertical run. (The chimney is in the middle of the house, not an outside wall. It does run through an unconditioned attic before exiting the roof.)

I'm answering my own question. I called and talked to a nice guy at Englander Stoves this morning, and after their input on the 30NCH, I'm going to run the 6" single wall, uninsulated. If I have to comeback later and pour insulation I will, but the fact that the chimney is in the middle of the house, and not outside on an exterior wall, should make me good to go.

I'll update as I'm able, and as the hearth and liner install progresses.

Last edited:
So I'm rezzing my old post. I thought I'd post a finished photo. I lurk, a lot, but don't post much. (Picked up a Whitfield II at not cost to me for the basement last January).

Here's the Englander 30 I installed last October. With the cold last year, and price of oil at the time, the install paid for itself in the first season. (Based on oil consumption the previous year, which had comparable seasonal temps.

uploadfromtaptalk1448061273778.jpg

Looks great!

The previous owner left the brick mantle and thimble, but I believe his wife made him remove the brick hearth. I think he had a grandpa Fisher there, back in the day.

I decided to match the size on the floor for some extra set-back protection since I had just finished installing the flooring, and it's a good buffer zone for the kids.

good job I like it wish I had the room to do my hearth so large.

Status
Not open for further replies.