Englander 30 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinewoodburner

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2008
Va.
I am looking for a 2'nd stove to suppliment my Fireview when it gets realy cold. I have another fireplace and I was wondering if the Englander 30 could be partially set into the fireplace? The entire wall where the fireplace is is brick, no mantel, so there are no combustibles. This fireplace is in the middle of the house and the chimney has 3 flues, 2 fireplaces and one for the oil heat.

I am not wanting to spend as much $ as I did with the Fireview since this stove will not be used as much. Thanks

Works for me. Mine is half in and half out of the fireplace.

Attachments

• 30-ncl large.JPG
    30-ncl large.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 320
Looks great, it also looks like you have the blower. Does that help with the heat? My fireplace is wider than yours so I wonder if I would need the blower. The 30 is less money than the inserts and it is an easy install. Plus, I know when I have had a fire that the brick chimney when it gets warm radiates heat for hours after the fire is out.

Yeah the blower is pretty much a must just like it is with an insert. I don't use it when the temps are around 45 or over but below that I have to move some air around this joint. A major problem with my tight installation is that to clean or replace the blower the stove is going to have to come out. I knew that going in but did it anyway. I am coming off my third burning season with it and I can detect that the air volume is going down a little. Probably full of my wife's cat's hair. This summer I will mess with seeing if I can get it out of there and back in some way, doubtful, and failing that I will bring in the pallet jack and lift up the liner.

If you put one in the fireplace be sure that the block off plate is even with the front opening of the fireplace and that it slopes down toward the back a little. That does wonders for rolling the hot air coming out of the top of the rear heat shield out into the room.

And you are right about the bricks retaining heat. On milder days I fire it for an hour or so in the morning and it and the bricks give off heat for six or seven hours.

BrotherBart said:

Awwww come onnnn. If you wuz a real hillybilly then youd have half in the farplace, half in the livin room, and half in the heated swimmin pool.

Rockey said:
BrotherBart said:

Awwww come onnnn. If you wuz a real hillybilly then youd have half in the farplace, half in the livin room, and half in the heated swimmin pool.

Maryluu and the littleuns just don't cotton to the cow trough being to dang warm when they swimin in it. The stuff in tha bottom gets too mushy.

Status
Not open for further replies.