Englander 30 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fran35

Jan 10, 2011
PA
Hey guys,
Quick question:
I purchased the 30 last winter and was using so so wood. That wood has now reasonably dried and the stove is performing much better than last year. I know that the best way to decrease creosote production is to build hotter/shorter fires. However, that is easy during the day. But at night, when loading up for the extended burn, I load the box up, get the whole thing going to about 650 and then turn down the air to a trickle. This makes it do that I usually have a small bed of coals come morning. My question is this--Is this practice of turning the air way down to make the load last through the night bad for creosote production? I also have 30 + feet of Class A running up the side of the house, which may also encourage the build up. Thanks.

So long as you aren't smoldering the fire at night (no flames / black glass / smoke from chimney)

Then you'll do fine.

pen

The idea is to keep the burn tubes active during the outgas stage of the burn. Sounds like you are doing it by the book. A good sign is that when you tune the primary air down, are you still getting active secondary burns (flame at the burn tubes). Its a sign that you are getting good re-burn of the gasses.

When you tune it down, if you notice that the fire just goes "flat" on you, ya might want to give it a bit more time with more primary air.

Thanks guys. Also, I have a stove top thermometer, but not a pipe thermometer. Should I really get both? I guess I figure that I can kind of gauge what is going on in the 5 feet of stove pipe by the stove top thermometer. Also, if my 30 regularly hits 750 at night on the big loads before I turn down the air, is that too much? What is the overfire temp on a 30? Just wondering at what temp I should start getting nervous.

Fran...I have both a stovetop and pipe thermometer on my 30. When I get a good load going on a nice bed of coals the stovetop gets up to 750 till he settles.....I got it to 800 once....and that made me a lil nervous....I am still learning the stove and have to remember I don't have the lil old 13 no more!
:)

fran35 said:
Thanks guys. Also, I have a stove top thermometer, but not a pipe thermometer. Should I really get both?

Well, I'll ask the question back to you. Can you drive a car without a fuel gauge? Sure you can, but you might not always have accurate representation of where you stand. I would highly suggest a pipe thermo, but it is not a "requirement".

Status
Not open for further replies.