Englander 30 Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

Just picked up a Englander 30-NC today. Got it off of a member ( lethal dose ) of this Forum. Got a really good deal. Cant thank him enough. I know that everyone has there fancy in what wood they burn. But got a few quick questions before people start staying outside longer and not getting on there computer to visit this site. Any info is appreciated..

What is the "Best" size split for the 30's Box. Its 20x20. Seems most people do 16" and 18". Pretty standard. Just wondering if there is a "Best" size

Does anyone have the optional blower hooked up to there's? Seems like it wouldn't need it.

Any preference to wood? (I know Dry Wood and Veer from Pine) but other than that?

I have several pellet stoves. I know everybody has there own opinion on what they like, Brands, Fuel selection, Burning Temps, etc.. Even if your biased... Still would like your opinion.
Im sure as I hook it up there will be many questions to follow. But would like to start getting more wood now. I have about a cord now. 1/2 of Ash and 1/2 of Misc I got with the stove today. I have a fireplace, so I normally go through a little more than a cord a year (ambiance only). I have fallen wood I have to get, just need to get more than I normally do. Still gonna burn my pellet stove upstairs (Just less) and sell my Fahrenheit in the basement. Well... I'm gonna sell it after this is installed and burning next winter. Thanks in Advance..

DexterDay said:
What is the "Best" size split for the 30's Box. Its 20x20. Seems most people do 16" and 18". Pretty standard. Just wondering if there is a "Best" size

Any preference to wood? (I know Dry Wood and Veer from Pine) but other than that?

Most people cut their wood to stay off the glass a little. My stove is good for 18" and I find 16" to be the best for wiggle room.

Dry wood is key and dry pine is also fine. It'll burn faster that's about it, it will not cause any issue if it's properly seasoned.

I know it depends on the budget that people are on, but what Log Splitter is the most ideal realistic model that someone would own. I am open to all the Free wood I can get.

If you could have any tow behind "gas" Log Splitter. What would it be???? If money wasn't an option.

Thanks rdust... I figured 16"-18", standard length I cut now for my fireplace.

I am not new to burning wood, I am new to Woodburners (Air, Draft, Temperature) .. I have a fireplace and have "Tinkered" with woodburning. Just traded an old Timberline for a Pellet stove for my Father. I never thought of a woodburner as a Whole house heating system until I got my 1st pellet stove. They are nice. Can go for a week or 2 without touching them, other than filling hopper every other day. I just got the pellet furnace in January (Good Deal Also), but with all the moving parts for maintenance, just seems like Free Wood would be best now. Still going to use my Quad upstairs. My basement consists of 5 rooms. All separated by walls and doors. My pellet crib, tool room, Bar (pool table, foose ball), storage room, and an open area with the washer, dryer, sump pump, furnace's, and soon to be wood stove. The stove will only be heating 590 sq ft in the basement (12'x49'). It is all un-finished but this portion is underneath the 3 bedrooms in the house. My thinking is it will heat the floors ((have R-19 in floor joists, can remove if it will benefit from the wood heat)) I have a 9 yr old son and a baby (daughter) due at the end of May. The Babies room is the coldest. It was only a spare room until now. I purchased the Pellet furnace to hook into HVAC, but I burn 5 tons a year with just the one upstairs. With the furnace my pellet consumption will almost double. Causing me to spend around $2,000 a year on pellets. I was spending just under $4k in LP. So there is still a savings of almost 50%, but would still like to keep it to a minimum. That's where the Wood stove comes in. Free Wood.... Or around $200 a ton in Pellets. With the deal that Lethal Dose (Forum Member) gave me, I couldn't refuse. Kit came with EVERYTHING. He actually had it "For Sale" her on the For sale section. I Don't have to buy anything. About $3,500 worth of items. For.. Well if he chimes in, He can tell you. I want to Thank him again.. You are a Good Man, and I wish lethal dose the best of luck with his move to South Carolina...........The Wife still don't like the idea, But she ain't gotta Cut, Split, and Stack IT.......

Sorry to be so winded. But just thought I should tell you "How" and "Why" it will be heating my home.

Thank you to any who reply with ANY advice about this stove in-particular or Woodburning in general..

I don't cut longer than 18" and those are mostly "whoops" cuts. 16" N/S splits are great in the 30. Much longer and the stuff coming out of the ends craps up the glass.

Probably more splitter advise available if you post it in the Gear Room.

BrotherBart said:
I don't cut longer than 18" and those are mostly "whoops" cuts. 16" N/S splits are great in the 30. Much longer and the stuff coming out of the ends craps up the glass.

Probably more splitter advise available if you post it in the Gear Room.

Thanks BBart

Another thing to consider... the 30 likes large splits. I get my best burns with 8-9" x 16" splits. The fire box get very good air flow and has no trouble at all with large splits or rounds.

I dont want the blower with the 30 ,i just think it cools the stove down too much. You need lots of heat for a good reburn,stove has good airflow and convection without the blower.

johnstra said:
Another thing to consider... the 30 likes large splits. I get my best burns with 8-9" x 16" splits. The fire box get very good air flow and has no trouble at all with large splits or rounds.
+1
Big Splits :)

DexterDay said:

Well your probably close to where I cut wood so I bet similar species. But it doesnt much matter, if its free burn it! I try to mainly cut dead trees or wind falls. Locust is by far the most common dead tree and aside from needing a bit higher air its probably the densist wood to burn around here. Will provide a lot of heat and burn for a long time. Most common windfall is cherry, which is much less btu's but still a great burning wood and a much more pleasant aroma (locust really stinks!). Sometimes come across some dead ash trees which is also good to burn, pretty much anything else I've had to cut live (oak etc.). I cut about 20 minutes SE of Minerva. Just came home with a little over a cord of cherry.

Just make sure to season it well, cherry and ash should be ready if you cut split and stack it in a good spot soon, but oak is 2-3 years. Some parts of standing dead locust is usually nearly ready to burn as is, the rest is good in under a year.

Here are some pics of everything I got from the Forum Member lethal dose. Sold me everything for $800, Including 2 cords of wood.. 18 ft of Triple wall Simpson including cap, Triple wall Clean out T, stove adapter, 1 telescoping adjustable length, I believe 60" (double wall), 90* (double wall), 3 ft section (Double wall), T support bracket, wall brackets, cieling supports, and wall thimble. Like I said before, cant Thank him enough. The inside of the pipe looks like it has never been burned. He said he only had 3 Fires in it. Just enough to "Burn" it in.

Ohioburner, I am not familiar with that area. What county are you in? I live a little North of Ashland, Ohio. In a little town called Sullivan.

Thanks for all the info so far eveyone. ANY info pertaining woodburnering is appreitiated. After reading more on them today, I feel that I still need to burn smaller fires to cure in the stove. Dont know if the few small fires he had in it were enough. Info on that would be nice also. I burned an Old Smoke Dragon very shortly, but nothing like this EPA compliant, secondary burning beast!

EDIT::: Wow!! Upsidedown pics.... They were right side up when I posted and previewed from Picasa

Attachments

• Flue and extras.jpg
    Flue and extras.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 376
  • Englander 30 #1 4-10-2011 5-00-58 PM.jpg
    Englander 30 #1 4-10-2011 5-00-58 PM.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 341
  • Clean Flue. 4-11-2011 6-49-42 PM.jpg
    Clean Flue. 4-11-2011 6-49-42 PM.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 342
Hiram Maxim said:
johnstra said:
+1

++2

and I thing the fan is handy when you start to get into an overfire mode

SmokeyCity said:
Hiram Maxim said:
johnstra said:
+1

++2

and I thing the fan is handy when you start to get into an overfire mode

WHy not turn down the air,when my stove top hits 700+ i start backing down the air control. Unless you have very strong draft,then you may need a fan. NO way do i want to pay $200 for the one that fits the stove, a ceiling fan in the room with the stove would do a better job.

lethal- How much did you have to drink? You did Dexter a solid, very good deal. If you're happy, my hat's off to you.

Honestly, I'm moving to where it's warm, needed to get rid of it (leaving in 4 days) and just wanted someone to take it who'd love and appreciate it. Lotta sacrifice. Had to get rid of my beloved animals, farm, etc. so we can relocate and better our lives. Dexterday is an outstanding guy and I couldn't have asked for a better dude (stranger) to take $800 from.

Sorry about all that moving stuff. Been there and it's tough. Good luck in the new location. At least you glued everything to the ceiling, must've been fun to watch Dex getting it down, huh. :cheese: (judging by the pictures)

Beetle-Kill said:
Sorry about all that moving stuff. Been there and it's tough. Good luck in the new location. At least you glued everything to the ceiling, must've been fun to watch Dex getting it down, huh. :cheese: (judging by the pictures)
Haha. Nothing was glued. Actually, he told me he wanted it sight unseen so I completely disassembled everything and stacked it- ready to go. Oh... and dex... those aren't ceiling mounts... it's a wall pass through and outside wall brackets. Saw you posted ceiling mounts.

lethal dose said:
Beetle-Kill said:
Haha. Nothing was glued. Actually, he told me he wanted it sight unseen so I completely disassembled everything and stacked it- ready to go. Oh... and dex... those aren't ceiling mounts... it's a wall pass through and outside wall brackets. Saw you posted ceiling mounts.

Having it all taken down was nice. Just had to lift that Beast up about 5 steps. What I meant by cieling mounts was the Roof Mounts for when its extended over 36" above peak (Adjustable arms, screws into the roof of home). I am still learning some (most) of the terminology. Wish I was up last night for the conversation. But I gotta go to bed early. Gotta get up even Earlier. Waking up at 3:30 a.m. is not cool at all. (do what you gotta do)

lethal dose- Thanks again, we had a good time out there that day. I wish we could have stuck around a BS'd all day. Good Luck and God-Speed. I am gonna try and get out there this weekend to grab the remainder of the wood. Will text or PM before coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.