Englander 30 Rear Clearance Confusion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you....and this is intuitive in my opinion. On the matter of side clearances....when the side heat shields are used, is the clearance from the heat shield or the firebox?

unless specified otherwise, it should be from the firebox. with our units its the firebox. now this means the closest point of the firebox so if the top overhangs the side then you would measure from the edge of the top as it would be the closest part of the actual box.

bear in mind that in most cases the side shields do not cover the entire side up to the front of the stove so clearances measured may vary depending on mountiunng location. in a "flat wall" install with no side walls nearby the statndard rear clearance may be reduced by adding side shields but side clearances may not reduce if the combustible surface is exposed to the unshielded firebox forward of the shield

So would I need more than 1 inch thick Durock? Would covering standard half inch Durock with ceramic tile give me the required r value I need? Appreciate all the help guys.

the requirement is 1/2 inch noncombustible insulation board with ventilated air space (1") or a 24GA sheet metal with same space. note the sheet metal or the millboard provide the same reduction with the same air space , so the "R" factor is not a factor. what provides the protection is the convection in the space between the shield and the wall actually transporting the heat out as it warms the air in the space it rises drawing cooler air in through the space at the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.