Englander 30 rear clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trapper89

Oct 13, 2016
pennsylvania
I have an Englander 30 I'm installing and having trouble understanding the clearances in the manual. I have stone veneer laid behind it. The manual says 14" from the rear heat shield to the wall. Is that to a combustible wall? If so close can I put it to the stone? Anyone have a similar setup?

Its to combustibles.. so if the veneer is combustible its to it. if the wall behind it is combustible then its to it. If there are no combustibles then as close as you wish.

Make sure the veneer isn't glued either, mortar is fine, glue isn't good, it will fail. also generally speaking, this does come up a lot, stone / brick mounted directly to a wooden stud wall does not reduce clearances, a proper heat shield spaced 1" off a combustible wall with the proper venting on the bottom, top and sides will reduce clearances, but that is stated by the manufacture, for unlisted units the nfpa states a minimum clearance of 36" from any combustibles, a proper wall shield reduces that by 2/3
http://nasdonline.org/1248/d001052/wood-stove-installation-and-operation.html