Englander 30 Side Shield Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I've been reading the Englander 30 stoves can be blistering heating machines! My question is - has anyone used the side shields, in addition to the rear shelds, to dampen this heat output or maybe the word I am looking for is redirect it. For example the PE Summit has side shields and make the stove less radiant, but more convective. If you put the side shields on the Englander 30 stoves, does this do the same thing - make the stove more of a convective heater?

In my install, for this stove, the more I read about the Pacific Energy convective stoves, the more it makes sense to use the stove this way - if possible.

Do you consider the Englander 30 primarily a radiant or convective stove?

Thanks,
Bill

The shields only cover half of the stove body. The back half up to the step bend in the top plate. I put them on my 30 in the fireplace. The hot air coming up between the stove and the shields would blow out a Bic lighter. I took them off half-way through the season this year because the fireplace walls do that just fine and roll the heat out of the fireplace.

Give it a shot without them. Maybe by then I will be through experimenting and have a set for sale at half price. Or not.

[quote author="BrotherBart" date="1304228630"]The shields only cover half of the stove body. The back half up to the step bend in the top plate. I put them on my 30 in the fireplace. The hot air coming up between the stove and the shields would blow out a Bic lighter. I took them off half-way through the season this year because the fireplace walls do that just fine and roll the heat out of the fireplace.

Give it a shot without them. Maybe by then I will be through experimenting and have a set for sale at half price. Or not.[/quote

Brother Bart I sent you a PM

Here is my reply to the PM for posterity.

"I don’t think you need the shields. The walls of the fireplace will do the same job. As far as the blower goes, mine died this season and I am not replacing it. It is needed to roll the heat out of the fireplace but I ain’t pulling that liner up and moving that stove out to replace it. Two four dollar clearance sale “personal†fans one sitting on each side of the stove blowing under the stove into the fireplace do a great job. And are so small they aren’t even offensive to our eyes. And are a damn site quieter."

When you put a blower on the back of a five hundred pound stove and it is buried back in a fireplace ya need to think about how you are gonna clean Rover's hair out of it and how you are going to replace should the need arise. That is why they mount blowers on the front of fireplace inserts.

Status
Not open for further replies.