Englander 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cham1733

Jun 25, 2014
Hi, you guys here seem to be my go to for everything because I always get good info. Currently, I have a Dutchwest 2461 in my basement. It’s in a portioned room that opens to the staircase. Our house is 950 sq. feet. Our chimney runs along the outside of our house and to add on I have a 45 degree offset on that. Once the chimney is warm (2-3 pieces of paper burned) our draft is fine. My question is the Dutchwest is a little too small for our house. Our house is well insulated but the stove will only keep it around 66-67 with it running hard. Also overnight burns seem to be nonexistent. So I was searching on this forum and Englander's seem to get a pretty good review. I looked at the NC13 and NC 30 and the 13 is about the same size as our current stove but the 30 is about 33% bigger. Also, it has a hook up for an OAK which I think would benefit us being that our house is rather tight. I measured the inside of our firebox and the usable space in the Englander and came up with about 1 cu ft. difference. I keep reading that you can always build a smaller fire in a bigger stove but not the other way around. I am just worried that the 30 might be too big and cook us out of the house. Any inputs?
Thanks.

The OAK on the NC30 only provides air wash air. There are seperate unconnected holes for the doghouse and the entire secondary system so the NC30 OAK is mostly an illusion. Great stove for the price.

The OAK on the NC30 only provides air wash air. There are seperate unconnected holes for the doghouse and the entire secondary system so the NC30 OAK is mostly an illusion. Great stove for the price.

I did not know that about the OAK. Good to know.

The NC13 is just at the size that it can be tough to hold a meaningful overnight fire (coals with a stovetop of 150F isn't meaningful to me).

If overnight is one of your goals, go with the 30.

The NC13 is just at the size that it can be tough to hold a meaningful overnight fire (coals with a stovetop of 150F isn't meaningful to me).

If overnight is one of your goals, go with the 30.

Yes, overnight is definately a goal. It's sounding like the 30 is the way to go

An overnight burn is possible only with truly seasoned wood! If your wood is good the englander is great!

FYI, it's 30NC and 13NC.

I purchased and installed an NC-30 last summer and so far I am impressed with it. I installed it in the basement I am currently finishing. It has no problem heating the open area and it will burn over night. I just wake up then next morning, throw in some smaller logs on the coals and after a minute it takes off. As Highbeam said, great stove for the price. I love mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.