Englander 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatmiser5

Apr 16, 2011
Chaumont ny
So far I seem to have mastered the top down method.
I have loaded the big girl up at night, and have gotten about
Seven good hours out of her. Here is my question. If I
Push all the red hot coals to the back of the stove, the. Re-load
Will I get a longer burn time? And also will I get good heat
This way? This is my first stove and first heating season.

If you push them to the back instead of the front you are going to be looking at a cold stove.

Brother Bart
After all the decision making we ended up trying out a NC30. I am getting plenty of heat, but would like longer burn times - and helpful hints :)

Define burn times. I look for heat times. If it is at 250 or more ten hours after I load it to the top of the fire brick I am one happy camper.

There is no such thing as "burn time". Your wood, how you operate the stove, chimney draft and phases of the moon affect every load. The only thing you can know is how long the stove is at what temperature. And I guarantee you it won't be the same from one night to the next.

That is why they invented oil, gas and electric furnaces a long time ago. And why my Dad, raised burning wood, thought I was an idiot for heating with wood and that the thermostat was the greatest invention in the history of mankind. :lol:

Brother Bart ,
First of all, thanks for all the help. It's like talking
To the great and powerful OZ behind the curtain. Only with wood. And
Also thanks for the shirt, it fits great.

Pen is the one that has the 30 nailed as to how to run it. I was just the first one here crazy enough to buy the damned thing. Still trying to figure out the best way to run it after six seasons. My wife says I make her crazy that way.

cmonSTART said:
If anything, try larger splits or packing them in tighter. Pushing the coals to the back of the stove won't really work out that well.

You got that right. My typical night load anymore is three splits. Big ones N/S that fill the firebox. Inch of airspace between them and rock and roll.

BrotherBart said:
Pen is the one that has the 30 nailed as to how to run it. I was just the first one here crazy enough to buy the damned thing. Still trying to figure out the best way to run it after six seasons. My wife says I make her crazy that way.
LOL!! Should I cut the crazy short and get a new stove with 2 days of burning in! LMAO!!

I'm just sitting here with a cold old Milwaukee ( given to me),
Watching the cards / phils. And a bunch of secondaries In
The 30

The 30-NC is just a passing fancy. It will never last. Ain't pretty enough.

Got the only wife in the world that thinks it is the best looking stove on the planet.

It is the most beautiful $649 stove with free delivery I ever
Laid my eyes on.

Heatmiser5 said:
It is the most beautiful $649 stove with free delivery I ever
Laid my eyes on.

Paint that sucker metallic brown and it gets more beautiful by the moment.

One of the local stove shops has a woman that always paints some of their floor model stoves and inserts. They always are the ones that sell.

In home depot the other day and noticed that they
Sell a set of fire place tools that were brown, made me think
Of your stove.

Heatmiser5 said:
In home depot the other day and noticed that they
Sell a set of fire place tools that were brown, made me think
Of your stove.

I painted it the same color of the old Sierra insert that served me so well for 21 years. A nostalgia thing.

Six years later I still miss that stove. I could set up a night burn in my sleep in that sucker.

And smoke out the whole hood and chip creosote every spring.

RIP Brownie.

Attachments

• brownie.jpg
    brownie.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 227
BrotherBart said:
If you push them to the back instead of the front you are going to be looking at a cold stove.
I put the dry pine in the back,that way it burns slow and dont cause the stove to overload the secondaries and smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.