Englander 30NC fiber board question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all...

Getting time to get some new fiber boards for the stove. They still are in ok shape, some dings but no holes. So I missed the gasket and board special from England's Stove Works. I would like to have some replacement boards on hand as my 30NC is my only source of heat, no backup.

Done some searching on the forum and found that there is fiber boards available that work from Skyline Components that some have used. The price is a bit less and can be custom cut, bulk board shipped. From what I understood is that its not the same board as England's Stove Works board.

My question is... Is it worth it, longevity wise, to get this cheaper cost board?

Many thanks...

It's been a while since getting an update from anyone using homemade boards for the stove.

I have an extra factory set for mine, but my originals are on year 6 now, and show wear due to occasional loading mishaps (damn booze) but I will stick things out with them until there is a true failure.

By the looks, I can't see any wear due to use, just misuse.

I'd say this, if you want to try and save a buck, buy the cheaper stuff as a backup. Odds run, you shouldn't need to replace both boards at once. If the material you buy gives you enough for 2 replacements, that would buy you time to have Englander ship their factory product out to you if necessary.

Also, I had a buddy who had his 30 as his only heat as well, and accidentally bashed a big hole in a board his first winter with the stove. He used a piece of hardibacker to cover the hole and said it would last about a month or so in the stove before needing to slide a new place in. Certainly not a permanent fix, but would work in a pinch.

pen

Thanks pen...

I think I'm going to try the aftermarket fiber boards and see what happens. I'm just nervous being its my only source of heat. Plus I have not been through a complete cycle of fiber so i don't know the longevity and what to expect.

My boards now are a little worn from abrasion,very minor. What I'm seeing more of is them starting to warp. I did the threaded rod through the rope gasket to help seal the"gap". In doing so I broke off a very small corner. So I flipped it around to the front. Stove has burned roughly 11-12 cords of wood through it.

Thanks for the tip on the hardibacker. I have some left over CertianTeed fiber cement board from my siding work. Could that work in a pinch?

I'm extremely happy with this stove. Works very well with my masonry chimney,

Derek

I've been using one of those boards from Skyline for about a year now, looks the same as it did a year ago, just a bit dirtier. ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.