Englander 30s, how much wood do you burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Last season I used my Summer's Heat 12, which is a non-epa stove. I loved it, and burned pretty solidly all winter long with it as supplemental heat, because my house is a heck of a lot larger than the 1,000sq ft that stove is rated for. I went through probably 3-3.5 cords. I imagine that if I had a small place that was at the max limit of this stove and had no other source of heat (like HAD to burn no matter what) then I could throw around 4.5-5 cords through it for the whole heating season.

I'm just tossing around the idea now of getting a Summers Heat 30 which is nearly two times as big, and IS an epa stove. It's still not big enough to heat my whole place (not what I'm trying to do, anyway). BUT, the question is, if I'd like to max out this stove, how much wood could I put through it?

Is there anybody here maxing theirs out?

I know it's normally frowned upon, but I have over 70 views and no responses, so here's a re-title and bump....

Well, if you buy a larger stove chances are you will burn more firewood but since your going from a EPA exempt to an Epa stove I'm thinking you will probably burn the same amount and be much warmer.

Todd said:
Well, if you buy a larger stove chances are you will burn more firewood but since your going from a EPA exempt to an Epa stove I'm thinking you will probably burn the same amount and be much warmer.
That's what I'm really thinking, but I want someone else to confirm that with numbers. There is the Englander 13, which is pretty much identical to my stove in size, but isn't EPA exempt. I would expect to burn LESS wood with it, but If I'm gonna buy a new stove, I might as well go bigger, because 3-4 cords is a reasonable amount for me in terms of wood production and storage space.

vanessa gulland's video is gone! tells how to burn epa stove= start with full firebox, get to recommended temp, & burn secondaries. when reloading, add no fewer than 3 splits when stove is hot. If i had your stove & was intent on cranking it, & THE CHIMNI WAS EASY TO CLEAN I'd consider a MAGIC HEAT

The last three seasons I have burned three cords of oak each winter in the 30.

I heated 2800 sq ft. (2 stories) with my 30NC almost exclusively last season with less than 4 cords. It was my second season, so I was more experienced with the stove and my wood was slightly more seasoned than the first season. My first season I had about 3.5 cords and I ran out and quit with about a quarter cord left in case of emergency. Last season, I started with a little over 4 cords and burned from the 1st week of October to early April and still had about half a cord left over.

I think Todd hit the nail right on the head!!

I can heat all 2120 sqft of my 1950's ranch to about 74 °F average with about 4 cords. Oct-April

Before I insulated my home 5-6 cords per year.That includes 1 1/2 cords of pine.

With a newer home or insulation update expect 2/3 of a cord per month with good seasoned wood.

I live on a hill on the South side of a very windy lake so my consumption is higher than most.

If you live in Southern IL., I would expect that you will use a whole lot less than Northern IL.

There are so many variables. But I would think you will/would be 1000% happier with a 30 than the 12 for both wood consumption and especially heat output.

My Dad has a stove almost identical to the 12 in size and function. It eats wood and does not throw off heat anywhere near the 30. He has it only for emergency use and when family is over for holidays. (when I light it up ;-P )

Just my $.02

Hiram Maxim said:

I can heat all 2120 sqft of my 1950's ranch to about 74 °F average with about 4 cords. Oct-April

Before I insulated my home 5-6 cords per year.That includes 1 1/2 cords of pine.

With a newer home or insulation update expect 2/3 of a cord per month with good seasoned wood.

I live on a hill on the South side of a very windy lake so my consumption is higher than most.

If you live in Southern IL., I would expect that you will use a whole lot less than Northern IL.

There are so many variables. But I would think you will/would be 1000% happier with a 30 than the 12 for both wood consumption and especially heat output.

My Dad has a stove almost identical to the 12 in size and function. It eats wood and does not throw off heat anywhere near the 30. He has it only for emergency use and when family is over for holidays. (when I light it up ;-P )

Just my $.02

Thanks for the input. that's the sort of thing I was looking for. When you were heating using those 5-6 cords a year did you feel you were using the stove at about its max?

I only ask these questions because I don't want to short myself on wood if I go that route.

BLIMP: as for the magic heat...If you saw a picture of Kathleen's stove install, mine is very similar, but with ugly brick. there is no exposed pipe, only a few inches above the stove before it's into the chimney.

Danno77 said:
Hiram Maxim said:

Just my $.02

Thanks for the input. that's the sort of thing I was looking for. When you were heating using those 5-6 cords a year did you feel you were using the stove at about its max?

I only ask these questions because I don't want to short myself on wood if I go that route.

BLIMP: as for the magic heat...If you saw a picture of Kathleen's stove install, mine is very similar, but with ugly brick. there is no exposed pipe, only a few inches above the stove before it's into the chimney.
massive stone enclosure acts as great heat conductor to the outdoors. I insulated my block chimnli with fiberglass wher it goes thru the attic & with styrofoam above the roofline. foam is glued with can foam & bungee cord might still be up there. no , i painted the foam with latex so it would degrade from the sun. above the block & hinged is old metal chimni which has 2" fiberglass in it. worx good for 4-5 appliances on 7" chimlni

BLIMP said:
massive stone enclosure acts as great heat conductor to the outdoors
no kidding? what should I do?

Danno77 said:
BLIMP said:
massive stone enclosure acts as great heat conductor to the outdoors
no kidding? what should I do?
i told K but gist is to keep the stone enclosure as cool as possible. al foil & blower however improvized

I have the 13nc and if your house is bigger than you think a 30 is rated for............ don't get the 13. Don't get me wrong I love the 13 but my ranch is about 2000sqft and I have to run a second stove for the big room further away on colder nights or for fun. The addition of the blower my work better than you think. After I added the blower to the 13.....holy heat batman. I needed warm air to get to the back room not warm items in the stove room.

Danno77 said:
Hiram Maxim said:

Just my $.02

No I was not running the stove hard or near max except during a 2 week below 0 °F cold spell. It was also during a year of record cold temps here in Michigan, with January being the coldest on Record. :eek:hh: My splits were also way smaller than they are now.

I put new windows in, added a ton of insulation,new front door. After doing so my consumption dropped big time.....

Status
Not open for further replies.