englander 55 not feeding feeding pellets (new stove)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregorysalatino

Nov 27, 2015
west middlesex, PA
I am new to pellet stoves. I just purchased a summers heat 55 model. I have read through the manual a few times and watched the video that came with the stove. i have a duravent pellet stove flue and everything is installed according to the manuals. When I turn the stove on the bottom auger turns slowly and constantly as it should. but the top auger seems to me jammed and not feeding pellets to the bottom auger. the guy at lowes told me that the top augers on these tend to jam and there is a fix for them. It is sunday so customer service is of no help from englander today. can anybody here point me in the right direction?

I am new to pellet stoves. I just purchased a summers heat 55 model. I have read through the manual a few times and watched the video that came with the stove. i have a duravent pellet stove flue and everything is installed according to the manuals. When I turn the stove on the bottom auger turns slowly and constantly as it should. but the top auger seems to me jammed and not feeding pellets to the bottom auger. the guy at lowes told me that the top augers on these tend to jam and there is a fix for them. It is sunday so customer service is of no help from englander today. can anybody here point me in the right direction?

This should get you started anyway, Look here:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...c-or-55-shp10-upper-augur-not-turning.140204/
here:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/top-auger-stopped-working-summers-heat-55-shp10.140139/

I would suggest you call your dealer as it should be under warranty if new. You don't want to void it by doing something you should not. If your dealer is Home Depot then you may as well fix it yourself unless they want to take it back and replace it with a new one. Good Luck!

i plugged the wires for the lower auger motor into the upper auger motor and ran it in diagnostic mode and no luck with the upper auger moving. if i tap on the back side of the upper auger motor it tries to turn and will turn a little bit. i also noticed earlier that it would start to turn one way and then it would stop and turn back the other way. but at no point in time will it turn the auger. the auger is pretty loose and i can turn it freely by hand if the auger motor is disconnected.

i disconnected the upper auger motor from the auger and wired it up with the lower auger motor wires. you can see and hear that the motor is getting juice and wants to turn, but something is not allowing it. so i am thinking that something is bound up inside the gear box.

i disconnected the upper auger motor from the auger and wired it up with the lower auger motor wires. you can see and hear that the motor is getting juice and wants to turn, but something is not allowing it. so i am thinking that something is bound up inside the gear box.
You seem to be correct in the fact something is bad in Denmark (possibly the gearbox or motor).
I made a test wire to plug into each motor for testing, this eliminates the possibility of a power failure through the stove to the motor.

Bill

i found and fixed the problem. the backing plate on the gear box was tightened down to tight. with it being to tight it sandwiched the gears between the front and backing plate which cause the gears to be to tight and not turn. I loosened the screws on the backing plate and everything started to work properly. An hour or so long install turned into an all day event because of a couple tight screws. hahaha

Reactions: Shane1
thanks for your help guys! happy holidays.
Glad you were able to fix it! Enjoy the heat now...
I would recommend you do have a spare auger motor on hand for those cold nights when that motor does fail.
I bought one of the better motors for a lower price than OEM and keep it at the ready.

Bill

Reactions: Shane1
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.