Englander 55 TRP IP-S aka 25 IP-S

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
:cool: sa-weeet ! sombody gonna have some heat pretty soon;)

Well, all is not rosy. I don't seem to be getting ignition. I can see a faint glow of the ignitor in the tube, but it doesn't seem very bright, not like the dvd shows, and it's also not very hot. I can take the burn pot out and touch the end of the tube. It takes several seconds before I feel enough heat to be uncomfortable. Is that normal?

I'm curious if I can do the pre burn manually to get that out of the way while I figure out the problem?

Well, all is not rosy. I don't seem to be getting ignition. I can see a faint glow of the ignitor in the tube, but it doesn't seem very bright, not like the dvd shows, and it's also not very hot. I can take the burn pot out and touch the end of the tube. It takes several seconds before I feel enough heat to be uncomfortable. Is that normal?

I'm curious if I can do the pre burn manually to get that out of the way while I figure out the problem?
Yea it shows fine now, I was on a g8vt computer so maybe that's why. I think a manual light to do the pre burn would be fine. You are only burning excess paint and oils and so forth.

Btw. I set mine at one this morn in a 50 degree house and its a balmy 70 upstairs even though the stove is down stairs. I dare say it throws more heat than the 25pdvc. Temps were 40 to 50 today.

make certain the burn pot is making contact with the igniter sleeve, it has to slide all the way back against it or the igniter heat will wrap around the pot instead of getting forced through the pellets

make certain the burn pot is making contact with the igniter sleeve, it has to slide all the way back against it or the igniter heat will wrap around the pot instead of getting forced through the pellets

Ok, will check that, it's burning now after a rather tough manual lighting. It seems to be burning pretty lazily. I'm actually growing suspect of the pellets. I have a couple of bags with rips in them and figured I'd burn through them first, but maybe they've got some moisture. They're also some last season pellets that I got "used". Though they were still factory wrapped and under a roof. I cracked open a non-ripped bag to see if that improves things. Right now it's on 5-5 and the flame isn't really leaving the burnpot.

ok, check settings , should be at 4-4-1 on the bottom. as for a lazy fire , if its lazy it should be big, a tight short violent fire is the opposite. is it connected to a flue yet? stove will burn a bit different when just venting into open air, no back pressure from the vent.

whats the heat output feel like right at the vent?

ok, check settings , should be at 4-4-1 on the bottom. as for a lazy fire , if its lazy it should be big, a tight short violent fire is the opposite. is it connected to a flue yet? stove will burn a bit different when just venting into open air, no back pressure from the vent.

whats the heat output feel like right at the vent?

No flue yet, just burning open. Verified settings are 4-4-1.
Heat output is barely warm.

Sorry for my mistaken terminology. It is pretty tight, but very very short. I did notice that if I open the door I get a big lazy fire. Here's a pic burning on 6. It's lopsided, seems only to burn out the left.

2013-10-24%2020.05.09.jpg

is this thing outdoors? whats the temp out there? as for the fire only on the left is the cradle level, looks like it may be angled down to the left, this is adjustable but not while hot.

Yeah, it's sitting right at the edge of my garage. Just doing the pre-burn. Says it's 46 out right now. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that, but I read several recommendations to do that outdoors to avoid all the fumes in the house. If that could be the issue, I'll just let it finish and then continue troubleshooting, if needed, once it's installed. Certainly possible that it's not level, still on the pallet right now.

Here's a short vid that's more indicative:

That ain't right. Mine burns a healthy flame on 5 or 1 for that matter. You are in good hands though.

The room air blower pulling in a constant supply of 46 degree air ain't gonna be blowing very hot air out the front. ;lol Install that thing and heat the house.

Reactions: cecil_archer
The room air blower pulling in a constant supply of 46 degree air ain't gonna be blowing very hot air out the front. ;lol Install that thing and heat the house.

Agreed, and I'm not really concerned about that part at the moment, but the cold air shouldn't really affect the burn itself. With the OAK installed it will be getting that same cold air, and certainly much colder when it's really winter out. This was mostly spurred on by the lack of ignition. I might run out to Lowes in the morning and pick up a bag of pellets to try and rule them out as an issue.

Thanks to Mike and everyone for the advice.

looks like the burn is kinda low but then that could be with the unrestricted flue issue. i think we get it n the house and see what it does when connected to the vent. the ambient temps will distort output.

yeah im with BB, just let it complete the "stinky burn" and lets get it in the flue and see where we stand there. no worries bro, i'll get you straight one way or another

And the firebox will be rising in temperature improving combustion.

Reactions: mchasal
yeah im with BB, just let it complete the "stinky burn" and lets get it in the flue and see where we stand there. no worries bro, i'll get you straight one way or another

Don't worry, I'm confident of that, the support's been great.

Ok, I'll let it burn a while longer and hopefully get it in the house this weekend. I did get a bunch of smoke off the cabinet and such that subsided, so I think the stinky burn is basically done.

Thanks all.

Or let me send ya the money for freight to send that nasty thing down this way to put in my fireplace. ::-)

Last edited:
Whoops. Thought it was the EP insert. ;em

Never mind.

Place is getting really busy and it is hard for an old guy to keep up. <>

Agreed, and I'm not really concerned about that part at the moment, but the cold air shouldn't really affect the burn itself. With the OAK installed it will be getting that same cold air, and certainly much colder when it's really winter out. This was mostly spurred on by the lack of ignition. I might run out to Lowes in the morning and pick up a bag of pellets to try and rule them out as an issue.

Thanks to Mike and everyone for the advice.
BB mentioned about the cold air. Yes, the OAK pulls outside air, but the room blower doesn't. That could make a difference. If this was any other stove, I would be concerned that you could be fighting with your dealer. Not so with this stove. You're in good hands and I am looking forward to watching this play out.

Reactions: mchasal
SO I have used my new TRP IP for a few days and it heats my home well. Temps have been 30-50 range and at 1 my house has slowly crept up to near 70 upstairs (temp taken 2 places with a +- 2 deg diff) not sure how warm it is downstairs where the stove is

I have noticed I had some Green Supremes Platinums ? (lowes last year) and at 1 they burn nice and clean and hot.

The stuff i just got from Home Depot yesterday has the window black after one night. Flame does seem a little "lazier" Not sure if this is coincidental or correlated. Will do further tests.

I have not cleaned at all but 2 days should be fine with the largish ash pan.

Oh yes here are the install pics and since I had the back off I figure I'd snap a few pics of componants etc. (if you notice anything please let me know would rather hurt my pride a bit than start a fire!)

IMG_8355.jpg

IMG_8354.jpg

IMG_8359.jpg

IMG_8367.jpg

Pics Part 2......

IMG_8370.jpg

IMG_8387.jpg

IMG_8392.jpg

IMG_8384.jpg

The homemade hearth gives me about 7" of clearance all the way around and I am staining the trim to match the floor. I also plan to paint all the venting black but not a priority as you don't even see it.

Filled up my 80 lb hopper and it has been running continuously since Thursday a at 6 pm soo about 2 days plus the few hours left in the hopper. Heat wise it's keeping my house at 66-70 upstair a lttle cooler in rooms over my garage. Downstairs where the stove is its about 70-75. Temps have been 30-50 tops. Running and heating has been awesome a lot better than my 25 pdvc.

The only minor thing that I I am pretty sure I can adjut i is that at 1 it burns a little rich and gets the burn area black soot. Not sure what the settings are but I haven't changed them. Also note worthy is that I am using the home depot specials. I am trying 6 other kinds of varying quality and price.