Englander Add On Furnance or 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steamer

Jul 15, 2008
Southern Vt
Want to put stove in basement- walls are not insulated two sides only one foot exposed above ground other sides exposed two feet above ground
Does Add On Furnance have any secondary burn technology” ? Wanted to have heat run up staircase
Is the 30 nch big enough to heat whole house?
Has anyone heard of heating basement causing trouble with foundation as heat penetrates walls cauisng ground to thaw and refreeze?

Steamer said:
Want to put stove in basement- walls are not insulated two sides only one foot exposed above ground other sides exposed two feet above ground
Does Add On Furnance have any secondary burn technology” ? Wanted to have heat run up staircase
Has anyone heard of heating basement causing trouble with foundation as heat penetrates walls cauisng ground to thaw and refreeze?

I about kicked myself right after I bought the 30-NC and I found out that Englander made an add on wood burning furnace with a glass window. Then the more I got to research it I found out that it is a fairly antiquated design. I am like you, I wanted to install it downstairs and have an efficient way to get the heat up to the top 2 floors. I hope there are plans for an EPA wood furnace with a glass window.

Steamer said:
I have an add on fruance there are some models out there with the 2nd burn us stove model 1950,if your looking to heat big areas this is a goo way to go!

You'll need to describe the house size and how the heat will get upstairs before we can determine if a freestander will work, but the uninsulated basement already adds about -25% to the efficiency. A basement stove in an uninsulated basement will be giving up about a quarter of its heat (and the wood you put in the stove) to mother nature. If you can possibly install the stove on the first floor, you may save a lot of fuel and work.

smokinj said:
Steamer said:
I have an add on fruance there are some models out there with the 2nd burn us stove model 1950,if your looking to heat big areas this is a goo way to go!

USStove is no longer selling the 1950, and everyone's sold out. It's the same stove, essentially, as the PSG caddy.

I wonder why Englander doesn't add secondary burn tubes to the add-on. It seems like an easy upgrade.

M1sterM said:
smokinj said:
Steamer said:

USStove is no longer selling the 1950, and everyone's sold out. It's the same stove, essentially, as the PSG caddy.

I wonder why Englander doesn't add secondary burn tubes to the add-on. It seems like an easy upgrade.
I 2nd that and i have been watching for them

[quote author="M1sterM" date="1220491207
I wonder why Englander doesn't add secondary burn tubes to the add-on. It seems like an easy upgrade.[/quote]

its not as easy as it seems , not only do you have to add the tubes , but you must add a way to get secondary air to them , would take virtually a total redesign of the unit (that said , i'd like to see us do it myself) ahem... Corie???????? ;-P

I gave up on waiting for the EPA furnace from ESW. Only waited since 1985. And given that the price appears to have almost doubled for the old design in the last three years I probably couldn't afford one if it ever comes along.

stoveguy2esw said:
[quote author="M1sterM" date="1220491207

its not as easy as it seems , not only do you have to add the tubes , but you must add a way to get secondary air to them , would take virtually a total redesign of the unit (that said , i'd like to see us do it myself) ahem... Corie???????? ;-P[/quote]lead the way

I have the add-on, and while it can be burnt clean with good burning practices, I too would like to see the unit re-designed before I need to replace it. That gives Corie about 10 more years to get it done. C'mon Mike get him goin' on that please!;)

WaterBoss said:
That gives Corie about 10 more years to get it done. C'mon Mike get him goin' on that please!;)

I can't wait that long! I will be drooling in my soup by then. Actually, before then.

Unless you have a big space with a heat distribution problem, I'll take a freestander. It's a lot more controllable and burns cleaner. Plus we get the nice fireview in the living room.

BeGreen said:
Unless you have a big space with a heat distribution problem, I'll take a freestander. It's a lot more controllable and burns cleaner. Plus we get the nice fireview in the living room.
Thats what i wanted to do, but the wife wanted the mess in the garage.Now i also have a heated garage. work out great but alot more money to install and time.The Furance Brings the whole hose to an even temp with cold air returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.