Englander air control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkmartinturbo

Jan 29, 2015
Richmond Va
I just installed a Englander 13nc. Does anyone know how far the air control rod is suppose to come out? Mine pulls out like 14 inches then hangs down. Seems like it should have a internal stop at 7 or so inches. I'm curious thank you.

Can you look at the underside of the stove with a mirror to make sure it's connected to the air control valve?

Reactions: Woody Stover
Yeah something is wrong. My 30-NC is essentially the same stove with a larger firebox. And all the way out the primary air control rod is eight inches from tip to the face of the stove body. No hanging down.

Since the whole shebang is inside the steel floor no way to look at the rod inside the stove. Only thing you can look at is through the primary air intake tube in the back of the stove to see if the control slide is still attached to the rod.

Yeah something is wrong. My 30-NC is essentially the same stove with a larger firebox. And all the way out the primary air control rod is eight inches from tip to the face of the stove body. No hanging down.

Since the whole shebang is inside the steel floor no way to look at the rod inside the stove. Only thing you can look at is through the primary air intake tube in the back of the stove to see if the control slide is still attached to the rod.

It its still attached to triangle plate under firebox. Movement of rod does change air intake in the first 7 inches of travel. The remaining seven inches does nothing more

Sounds like a stop in there is broken off.

I am guessing this is the "inherited" stove. Sounds like somebody was slamming it out hard for whatever reason.

It should not do that, BB is correct, yet again ;)

There's gotta be some way to stop it.

Air control on the 13 can be crucial, some times.

I would give England's Stove Works customer service a call. They are good with advice even if it isn't in warranty. And after making a bazillion of those stoves they have to have seen it happen before and may have a suggestion.

800 245-6489

Reactions: Dix
+ one.

Their CS is awesome !! I've used it !

Call ESW. Good folks. Tell them to send the consultation bill to BB at hearth.com. >>

Reactions: Dix
It was my fathers he never mentioned anything about it and I never personally used it. Unfortunately he's no longer around to ask. Maybe something happened in transit idk. I will call customer service thank you.

Sorry about your Dad. Lost mine too. And Mom last year.

It is a good wood stove, a damn site better than the 12-FP, and I hope there is an answer available.

I liked the 12fp but I had to always fire it wide open to maintain heat. Hopefully the 13nc will do better with the secondary burn tubes. I don't think the 12 had any kind of reburn technology.

worst case - if you can see it is working correctly from the back you could just put a mark on the rod that has it at wide open and never pull it out beyond that point. As mentioned, I am betting a small tab tack welded inside as a stop came loose and beyond dismantling the stove can not be re-welded. Best to call Englander to get their input but if it works - above is a work around to the issue.

I called Englander to see what they thought. My 13nc is a early rear intake model and they used 30nc air control rods on the early 13 units. The previous 13 had front upper right air controls.I guess that explains it.

Status
Not open for further replies.