Englander air wash for the glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trophy_67

Hi folks ,
Just askin here,
How dirty is Normal for the glass ???..I am currently running SoftWood pellets.
my fire is SUPER....HEAT & ASH also ..
but my glass gets crappy in bought 6 hrs an in 24 ..needs a good wipin down and cleaning.
I have been playin with the "AIR WASH BAR"... currently I have a 3/8" bolt under it to shim it up so the forced air is hittin the glass at a better angle..it has helped a bunch but after 24 hrs it is pretty darn nasty lookin ...NO BLACK just a good coating of tan/brownish ash ..cleaning is easy with a damp paper towel wich i do everymornin after work.
Is this just the "NATURE OF THE BEAST" or can it be better ??
I personally like to see the flames dancin in a CLEAN window and was wonderin if this is as good as it gets.

The nature of the beast.

There is NO pellet stove that I know that the glass doesn't get dirty eventually. Depends on heat setting, air wash design, pellets, air flow, etc.

I have found the hotter the pellet and less ash, the cleaner the glass.

Smudge88 said:
My Englander says on the nameplate Hardwood only.....Check your's out

Smudge, is your PDV a pre-2004 model? The manual for those did say they were "designed" for hardwood pellets, but didn't say that you HAD to burn only hardwood.

I'd like to see a pic of that nameplate if it DOES say that.

Currently burning Somersets 100% Hardwood and man do they crank out the heat!!

Hard woods do burn better and cleaner in these stoves ,in my opinion .

macman said:
Smudge88 said:
My Englander says on the nameplate Hardwood only.....Check your's out

Smudge, is your PDV a pre-2004 model? The manual for those did say they were "designed" for hardwood pellets, but didn't say that you HAD to burn only hardwood.

I'd like to see a pic of that nameplate if it DOES say that.

Mine was built in '05 and the plate on the inside of the hopper lid states "For most efficient operation of this unit, use only Premium Hardwood Pellets."

Thanks for the repies, I swapped 2 bags of my yellow pine pellets for 2 hardwood with a bud at work,I will be trying them sunday after my bin runs dry.
will post how they do.
Tim

I know on my englanger stove on the back wall, right hand side near the burn pot there is a little hole that has something to do with the air wash system, I always gingerly poked it with a small drill bit to clean it out but one day decided to get a little more forceful. my glass before that point would be dirty in about 10 hrs, now its more like 30! may be that will help?

yknotcarpentry said:
I know on my englanger stove on the back wall, right hand side near the burn pot there is a little hole that has something to do with the air wash system, I always gingerly poked it with a small drill bit to clean it out but one day decided to get a little more forceful. my glass before that point would be dirty in about 10 hrs, now its more like 30! may be that will help?

actually this is the air port for the "door ajar" vacuum switch, indirectly it can have an effect on glass cleanlyness but not directly. if that hole becoes restricted you may have a cyclic drop of feed, fire drops to coals and reignites, when that happens glass will soot up quickly.

for those with the 25-PDV (larger unit) it has the same setup but in a different location, in that model look through the decorative vent to the right of the door , you will see a hose there connected to the side wall of the chamber, use the hose for referrence and look in through the front door , you may need to move the baffle plate out of the way to see it , but thats where the hole is , clear it with a toothpick and your feed gaps should cease causing a constant flame and cleaner burning should you be having this issue

Well after trying the 80lbs. of the hardwood pellets available from my local feed store in Curwensville Pa ..I am far from impressed!..I let my bin run down to almost empty ..then hand cleaned my hopper ..removed everything..an dumped in 80lbs. of the hardwwod pellets..at first I was impressed by the fire ..but after bought an hr ..things felt chilly in the kItchen, so i jumped my burn rate up from 4 to 5 ...bought an hr later still chilly ..bumped it up from 5 to 7 ...OK back in buissiness!..good heat output but a higher flame and such..so I am gonna keep with my first brand, Potomac Yellow Pine SoftWood pellets available at Lowes bought 2 minutes from my work.
they are a little more pricey but they make more heat ..so it will balance out I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.