Englander Auger Motor Failure and Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Topshelf said:
Just got my replacement / warranty Merkle Korff auger motor from Englander. I spent most of a week with my stove down due to the original motor taking a dump. I'm cringing reading this thread and reports about these motors. I do know that IF this new motor dies it wont be replaced with a Merkle Korff .
The up side is when my stove is up and running its beautiful heat. When its down, which has been numerous times in its virgin season, its not so pretty and negates any savings I may have had by running a pellet stove. I may have a summer sale on this one before it starts costing me repairs next year which is kind of sad.

Has any one here with stove issues kept track of how many hours of labor and down time you have in one year? I wish I would have kept track of mine this season.

Hey, it`s just a pellet stove. Why over react? Your Englander , like most other pellet stoves isn`t gonna fetch you much on the used market so why not just live with what you got. The price of two new good motors in the future is probably gonna be a lot less than a service call from a stove shop to fix one .

Obviously the problems of a particular stove will be heard far beyond the praises of satisfied users but it seems to me the MK auger motors used in Englander stoves are more problematic than MK auger motors used in other stoves.

Gio said:
Topshelf said:
Just got my replacement / warranty Merkle Korff auger motor from Englander. I spent most of a week with my stove down due to the original motor taking a dump. I'm cringing reading this thread and reports about these motors. I do know that IF this new motor dies it wont be replaced with a Merkle Korff .
The up side is when my stove is up and running its beautiful heat. When its down, which has been numerous times in its virgin season, its not so pretty and negates any savings I may have had by running a pellet stove. I may have a summer sale on this one before it starts costing me repairs next year which is kind of sad.

Has any one here with stove issues kept track of how many hours of labor and down time you have in one year? I wish I would have kept track of mine this season.

Hey, it`s just a pellet stove. Why over react? Your Englander , like most other pellet stoves isn`t gonna fetch you much on the used market so why not just live with what you got. The price of two new good motors in the future is probably gonna be a lot less than a service call from a stove shop to fix one .

I'm not sure how my post is an over reaction? IMO if I put out my cash for a new item, I expect it to perform without having to be the beta tester / mechanic for the thing. For the record, in 6 months of operation I have replaced the Auger motor, Stir motor, Exhaust blower, burn pot and brick panel. The only thing I havent replaced so far this year is the room blower (Jinx). I would never call a service guy out unless its on Englanders dime. The stove is so basic I would think just about anyone could troubleshoot it and repair it.

Because I travel a lot for work during the week, my wife is on her own for issues with my stove. I can talk her through most minor problems like augers jams, but motor failures isnt something she or I can fix without parts. The bottom line is Down time = $$$ in propane. It kind of defeats the purpose of having the stove it it wont stay up and running right?

Topshelf said:
Gio said:
Topshelf said:

I'm not sure how my post is an over reaction? IMO if I put out my cash for a new item, I expect it to perform without having to be the beta tester / mechanic for the thing. For the record, in 6 months of operation I have replaced the Auger motor, Stir motor, Exhaust blower, burn pot and brick panel. The only thing I havent replaced so far this year is the room blower (Jinx). I would never call a service guy out unless its on Englanders dime. The stove is so basic I would think just about anyone could troubleshoot it and repair it.

Because I travel a lot for work during the week, my wife is on her own for issues with my stove. I can talk her through most minor problems like augers jams, but motor failures isnt something she or I can fix without parts. The bottom line is Down time = $$$ in propane. It kind of defeats the purpose of having the stove it it wont stay up and running right?

My over reacting comment was based on your remark that you were contemplating a summer sale. I mean you got a lot of new parts in it already. Should be trouble free for a while.

Gio I'm just worried about this being the normal with replacing all these parts every year. Serious this is a new stove. This should not be happening IMO.

So if you add up the dollar value of parts replaced so far when ordering through Englander, it would be in the 500 -600 dollar range. I only paid 800 for the stove, which at the time I thought was a bargin. What do they say about if it seems to go to be true it usually is?

So next year when the warranty is up and the costs of the parts are now out of my pocket, I dont want to invest another 6-800 bucks into something that is maybe worth 400-500 on craigslist or ebay. Thats like Obama economics, just keep throwing money at it, that will help right? Maybe it will qualify for our new super duper health care system :)

Topshelf said:
Gio I'm just worried about this being the normal with replacing all these parts every year. Serious this is a new stove. This should not be happening IMO.

So if you add up the dollar value of parts replaced so far when ordering through Englander, it would be in the 500 -600 dollar range. I only paid 800 for the stove, which at the time I thought was a bargin. What do they say about if it seems to go to be true it usually is?

So next year when the warranty is up and the costs of the parts are now out of my pocket, I dont want to invest another 6-800 bucks into something that is maybe worth 400-500 on craigslist or ebay. Thats like Obama economics, just keep throwing money at it, that will help right? Maybe it will qualify for our new super duper health care system :)

Well, you did have more problems than usual but from where I sit you still only have your original $800 in the stove and it`s got all new parts in it now. But it`s your money.

Update on my Auger Motor issues:

Well I finally got around to installing my new auger motor last weekend. Took all of 15-20 minutes from start to finish.
My old motor growled like I had a rabid dog in my stove. I fired up the stove after the install of the new motor and I could not believe the difference. The new one you you can barely hear kick in. Man that thing is quiet compared to the old one. I had nothing to gauge it against so I figured that was how they all sounded? I was wron...... :)

So now I'm thinking dang it, I just spent the whole winter putting up with all that noise from the old motor and probably didnt have to. Doh!

Also I believe it was the gear box that finally gave it up. It was grinding so bad before it all together died, you couldnt hear yourself speak. When it really started to go, the motor would still work on and off if you tapped on it with a screw driver handle. I think what was happening was the tapping would jar the gear box and allow it to rotate internally? I may just hook it up with out the gear box later this summer to test it.

Topshelf said:

Well I finally got around to installing my new auger motor last weekend. Took all of 15-20 minutes from start to finish.
My old motor growled like I had a rabid dog in my stove. I fired up the stove after the install of the new motor and I could not believe the difference. The new one you you can barely hear kick in. Man that thing is quiet compared to the old one. I had nothing to gauge it against so I figured that was how they all sounded? I was wron...... :)

So now I'm thinking dang it, I just spent the whole winter putting up with all that noise from the old motor and probably didnt have to. Doh!

Also I believe it was the gear box that finally gave it up. It was grinding so bad before it all together died, you couldnt hear yourself speak. When it really started to go, the motor would still work on and off if you tapped on it with a screw driver handle. I think what was happening was the tapping would jar the gear box and allow it to rotate internally? I may just hook it up with out the gear box later this summer to test it.

That`s great! Now you can put off that summer sale ( at least till next year ).

GVA said:
RPM would vary on the voltage to the stove verse nameplate voltage... as does current....
Ex: amotor rated at 1.6 amps at 460vac would draw probably 1.4 amps at 480 vac..
I know this an old post but it does not work like that.

Gio said:
Topshelf said:

That`s great! Now you can put off that summer sale ( at least till next year ).

I sold my Lopi Wood stove last summer in September on Craigs list. I had people fighting for it and trying to outbid guys. I made over a 100 bucks on the thing and burned it for probably 10 years. Timing is everything :)

We shall see on the summer fire sale. Now that I know I can find an auger motor for it at a reasonable price and just about everything is brand new, your right I should keep it. If worse come to worse I will just pick up a couple of auger motors for spares. I do have a couple of improvements for mine in the back of my head. My hopper has a ledge in it that catchs gunk and eventually jams the auger. I may have two small plates welded in to do away with that issue. The other is the access cover for the back . I would like to install a sound deadening material over it. I wouldnt close it off completly but would like to cover the bottom half to help with the noise? The excess heat could still excape yet it would keep the low rumble sound down?

new flame said:
I am currently building my own pellet stove so am curious what "Really Hot" thinks of his Gleason Avery gear motor now that he has had it fitted for ~ 18 months.

Welcome to the forum from "across the pond". I'm sure many members would be interested in seeing your pellet stove "build" as it progresses....maybe you can post pics as you go along.

As for the forum member that installed the GA auger motor, the last time I knew, he had good reports about it.

If you want to contact him directly instead of hoping he'll see this thread, try sending him a PM.....and his forum name is "NEStoveOwner".

I was able to steal some parts off of my old blower and put it on this one. Ive burned about 4 bags since and no issues.

Thanks for the links. Im always on the lookout for replacement parts from someone other than Englander. Not willing to pay their markup for an inferior part.

NEStoveowner, how is the GA auger motor you put in back in Jan. of '09 working? Give us an update.

Hey folks
First time posting, I bought a Englander 25 EP at Lowes for about $1400.00 only to see them go for as little as 599.00 at the end of the season.Just my luck.
My auger motor has been working on and off since I bought it and my
Unit is in pieces all over my basement floor trying to figure out why when I disconnect
The motor from the auger it will work , but when it's under load it craps out. This is the beginning of my second season and I'm thrilled to death to see
That I actually have a better alternative to buying factory parts that don't exactly have a great track record.
I thought I was going to be stuck with this stove as a huge expensive paper weight. I am greatful to all you
People who have done the leg work so I can have a stove that actually works!!! Thanks!! Now my wife can stop glaring at
Me with that look in her eyes that says " I told you we should have bought a gas fireplace".Anyway ,I'm going to order a new motor tonight,heck I
Might as well order two just to be safe.
Thanks again for the great advice!
Pete.

Thats the one I'm going to order,actually two. I sent them a message about shipping USPS because otherwise I get dinged with Brokerage fees that can be more than the original purchase price.
Thanks for the advice!
Pete.

New to the forums, but this thread has informed me of exactly what I was looking for.
Higher quality parts at lower prices than the manufacturer.
I will probably order one auger motor as a spare.
If mine craps out any time soon, I should be able to get one from Englander under warranty.
I should keep one on hand because it will not crap out in July or August, mid winter is more likely!

imacman said:
Petewood159 said:
...Anyway ,I'm going to order a new motor tonight,heck I
Might as well order two just to be safe.
Thanks again for the great advice!
Pete.

You might consider one of these....heavier duty motor and only $84:

www.gleasonavery.com/catalog/pellet-corn-stove-motors.html

Shipping and NYS tax it cost $104.00...
I am waiting for my UPS delivery as we type!

I ordered it in case my motor dies, I can install the new one immediately and wait for England Stove to replace my shelf stocked motor with another inferior replacement.

Bill

NEStoveOwner, I salute you!!!!!!!!! I've read through this thread and have been amazed to see NS did not respect your R&D with regard to the Pattern Failure of their product. They I think will look for a fix hoping not to mirror your findings in order to avoid the deserved reward or compensation and worry about litigation.
This doesn't speak well for manufacture or seller for I am sure they have been following you thread and its attendance.

Again, I salute you!

Status
Not open for further replies.