englander auger wear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ldl

Jan 17, 2016
ct
I suspect me auger is worn down to were it needs replacing on my 55 shpep .
The pellets keep getting stuck between the auger and feed tube jamming the motor.
The auger does not look worn but the edges are slightly rounded.
The auger motor has been replaced.
Does this seem like a correct assumption.

Thanks

Could you file the auger so the edges are sharp again? Not the outer edges (don't want to make the auger diameter smaller) but the faces that move the pellets? The rounded edges are what's probably jamming the pellets between the auger and tube.

Hello
I have never found a condition where the augers are too worn down, not that it cannot happen. Therefore if you have the old black auger bearing gaskets, I would update them to the new upgrades white gaskets. I found a warped black gasket just the other day that was making the top auger bind up.
Also add red high temp grease to the bearings and pimp your augers.
See my pics and info.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-little-auger-burs-pimp-my-auger-pics.102423/
Upgrade bearing gasket
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...he-upgraded-white-gasket.141950/#post-1912998
Pics on greasing the bearings
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-you-apply-the-red-stuff.141830/#post-1911109
Also both augers and motor must be cleaned and working well. I worked on a stove with a new top auger motor and cleaned auger but the bottom auger was black as night with carbon and made the top auger bind right up! ! !

Last edited:
Just a thought... Any chance this started happening with a certain brand pellet you decided to try or switched to?
I have ran across a few that had some extremely hard pellets and they make my auger work overtime. Although ive only had one actual auger jam so far. They bind the auger and then an awful clunk along with the motor slapping back down.

His stove doesn't have a top / bottom / 2 augers. Just one. Inclined I believe.
You are correct if it is the EP model with the 3 sided glass.
On those units the early models had augers with only 2 spot welds to hold the fins on to the shaft. I have seen them break apart and Jam up. If it only has the two welds, then I would get a new auger with the 4 spot welds that is much stronger.

Reactions: Cedarjunki
The stove has one inclined auger and is a 2011. has 4 welds, I ordered a new auger for $35 worth a shot.
I think the rounded edges are allowing the pellet to sneak in between the tube and the auger causing it to jam up.
When the auger was newer I believe the edge would shear the pellet at the mouth of the feed tube now it just crushes it and mashes the pellet in between the auger and tube
I have run this brand of pellets for the past couple seasons without issues.

Reactions: heat seeker
Update,
New auger installed and has run 24 hours without a hitch. when I compared the 2 augers the old one was worn down .020 in diameter
probably just enough to allow the pellets to snake in between the tube.
13-15 tons would probably be the wear range on the auger for this stove.

.020" isn't very much. I suspect the rounded edges were the culprit, too. Glad you're up and running!

.020" isn't very much. I suspect the rounded edges were the culprit, too. Glad you're up and running!

I would expect him to come back and say .20
I can see that causing a problem but not .020

Reactions: heat seeker
Status
Not open for further replies.