Englander auto-start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlmartin

Dec 17, 2016
Coeur d'alene, ID
We just purchased a small Englander for our kennel and are super pleased with its efficiency. It runs great! However, it never auto-started, even the first time. It's as if the little ignitor hole never really comes up to full heat to light the pellets. After waiting 30-min and then going to check, it has the E-2 error (failure to start) message, so we just start it manually. Any thoughts on this failure?

We just purchased a small Englander for our kennel and are super pleased with its efficiency. It runs great! However, it never auto-started, even the first time. It's as if the little ignitor hole never really comes up to full heat to light the pellets. After waiting 30-min and then going to check, it has the E-2 error (failure to start) message, so we just start it manually. Any thoughts on this failure?

Is it the 25-PDVC? When you say we just purchased... how recent? Do you see the igniter glow? I don't use the auto igniter in both of my stoves. I take a small amount and place them over the igniter hole and then I use some lighter gel. Sometimes the igniter is too far back and needs to be pushed forward.

Try cleaning the igniter hole with a Q-tip or vac before start up

I have the same model - i gave up on the igniter. the first few years i cleaned it, then i replaced it. adjusted it. cleaned it some more. now i just put a handful of pellets in, and light them with a propane or mapp gas torch. lights in a few seconds and im done with it. It pretty much runs full time during the winter. I rarely have to light it. only after cleanings. the gas usually lasts more than a season

Thanks, everyone. We pretty much just gave up on the ignitor as well, lighting it isn't a big deal and we're so happy with how well it works it seems a small trade-off.

PDVC here, clicker torch start method as well. Its rare for our ignitor to actually start a fire....

Is the igniter really that bad on the 25-PDVC?
I was thinking of replacing my current '03 for a new one next year just so I had the auto-igniter, but now I may need to re-think it.

Is the igniter really that bad on the 25-PDVC?
I was thinking of replacing my current '03 for a new one next year just so I had the auto-igniter, but now I may need to re-think it.
If you're only replacing for the benefit of an igniter that works part time DON'T!!!

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Mine is hit or miss....
Used to work great... now.... not so much.
It is in the garage, I used to just press start, and leave...
Now if I do that it may be on when I go out...
Or maybe not...
I use the torch method when I want to be sure...
Which is most of the time.

Dan

I have the same stove. I bought it used. It worked good for awhile. I took it apart and cleaned it several times. Then it wouldn't start. The gasket that goes behind the burn pot was worn out and it was not sucking air correctly. Sure this is not your problem with a new stove but worth a try.

Hmmm... I just punch the start button on my PDVC and in a while it cranks up. If I am in a hurry I chuck some pellets in front of the igniter hole.

Hmmm... I just punch the start button on my PDVC and in a while it cranks up. If I am in a hurry I chuck some pellets in front of the igniter hole.
Yeah mine does "most" of the time....
Just can't bank on it.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.