Englander Blower Output Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobby8691

Jul 27, 2008
Central Maine
I've noticed lately that the air output of my blower motor seemed to have a very small amount of air being blown out. Just taking a peek inside the back of the stove with a flashlight showed that the air intake screen was covered with a one-quarter inch of dust. I vacuumed the screen and the blower now is back to its full power. I just wanted to share this with any other users that may not think to check this screen - I know I did.

pellet8600 said:
I've noticed lately that the air output of my blower motor seemed to have a very small amount of air being blown out. Just taking a peek inside the back of the stove with a flashlight showed that the air intake screen was covered with a one-quarter inch of dust. I vacuumed the screen and the blower now is back to its full power. I just wanted to share this with any other users that may not think to check this screen - I know I did.

You installed your stove in July of '08....was that the first time you cleaned the convection blower since it was installed??

I'm ashamed to say , yes it was. I took the combustion blower out, replaced gaskets, etc., but I overlooked the convection blower.. I know I won't make that mistake again.

pellet8600 said:
I'm ashamed to say , yes it was. I took the combustion blower out, replaced gaskets, etc., but I overlooked the convection blower.. I know I won't make that mistake again.

Glad to hear that.....you've been losing a lot of heat ($$).

dont feel bad. i did just the same -------installed sept 08. recently checked room blower for the first time and it was over 3/4 clogged with dust/hair. what a difference. i was also contemplating making a door similar to the one on the other side----for easy access and frequent cleaning. a filter mount is a possibility also.

I have two Brittanies at home along with a cat or two. They are fur making machines beyond belief. When I do my weekly major clean, I always hit the screen with the shop vac.

speedoboy31 said:
dont feel bad. i did just the same -------installed sept 08. recently checked room blower for the first time and it was over 3/4 clogged with dust/hair. what a difference. i was also contemplating making a door similar to the one on the other side----for easy access and frequent cleaning. a filter mount is a possibility also.

I have the Englander PDVC burning since '05. Just last weekend I cut a 4" hole to access my room blower. Not just for easy cleaning, but to prevent wear and tear on the holes the sheet metal screws go into. The first time I removed my combustion blower, one of the screws broke off. Every time the crews are removed and replaced it wears the metal and the holes get bigger. After I finished cleaning the room blower, I cut and painted a 6" square piece of sheet metal and siliconed it over the 4" hole. I use a piece of 1/4" tubing attatched to shop vac and an eyeglass screwdriver to clean the fins.

Status
Not open for further replies.