Englander Blower Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaintenanceMan

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2010
Southern IN
I'm curious (in case I were to ever upgrade) how the air is distributed on the 13nc. Looking at it it appears the air from the blower would blow straight up, more towards the ceiling than across the top towards the front. What direction is the air directed on the 13?

Looking at the Madison it looks like the air would come out of each side from each side heat shield.

I love my 17 and the blower really kicks this little stove into high gear. the air is forced straight out into the room and heats the main room and hall up in a hurry. I think the Madison would do about the same, but the 13 looks like it would throw the majority of the air straight up. Am I wrong?

The air is blown across the top of the 13NC. The rear heat shield has a 90 deg bend at top to deflect the air across the top of the stove.

Note that the 13NC unlike the 17VL has a very high hearth insulation requirement which could require a hearth rebuild. The Madison is ember protection only like the 17VL.

Air is blown onto the rear heat shield which is curved at the top directing air out towards the front over the top of the stove. Some have made/added extensions for the short top curved lip to get a more positive flow across the top of the stove and direct the airflow more horizontally.
Dang Begreen ya posted as I was typing

Sometimes you just have to build your own. The heatshield on the Englander 30 has that little lip on top that almost tries to direct air over the stove top. It doesn't work. The air just shoots up. So you can make a convection deck which routes and holds air down over the top of the stove. Much better.

Attachments

• stovedeck.png
    stovedeck.png
    469.3 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: brenndatomu
Sometimes you just have to build your own. The heatshield on the Englander 30 has that little lip on top that almost tries to direct air over the stove top. It doesn't work. The air just shoots up. So you can make a convection deck which routes and holds air down over the top of the stove. Much better.

I kind of thought that that was what happened. The air goes more up than out. Great idea. Thanks for the pic.

Any pics would be appreciated......I'm installing my NC30 now....have to cut the legs about 1" this is an "upgrade" for us and I'm hoping to achieve max heat output and longer burn times......

Any pics would be appreciated......I'm installing my NC30 now....have to cut the legs about 1" this is an "upgrade" for us and I'm hoping to achieve max heat output and longer burn times......

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/your-nc30-needs-a-convection-deck.139491/

I also bought a way more ballsy blower to really pump the air through the shrouds. It's not like a furnace but a bigger blower makes a lot more heat.

If I was heating my home with this stove I wouldn't need all this heat extraction stuff but in my application the stove "room" and stove can be 35 degrees ad I want that stove at 100% output ASAP. It's pretty cool how much condensation you get inside a cold stove. My burntimes are really low, only several hours for a full load.

If I had the NC30 in the house I would keep the house warm with a relatively constant fire so the 100% output would probably never be necessary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.