Englander both augers stopped working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Randman

Jan 1, 2024
Vermont
Englander 25Pdvc. Both augers are not turning. Doesn't seem to be any blockage. Emptied the hopper and both will spin manually. Would it be the vacuum switch? Door switches?
The blowers run but the augers don't turn. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Update - I found a purple wire that became disconnected from the control panel. So now the lower auger is working but the upper one is still not turning.

Try swapping your feeds to the Auger motors just to be sure the upper does work. After that, check your hopper switch and your vacuum switch as those are in line to your upper auger.

Eric

Reactions: ARC
Thanks so much for the feedback. When I swap the feeds for the auger motors, both augers turn as they should (with the feeds being reversed). When I put them back as they should be the top auger doesn't turn. 2 questions - how to test the hopper switch - and what is the proper connection diagram for the vacuum switch feeds. Just wondering if the connections are incorrect. Although it works when the feeds are reversed. Thanks for your input!!

So to clarify: when you swap the leads, the top now turns all the time and the bottom intermittently? If that's the case, the problem shouldn't be in either the hopper lid or vacuum switch.

For testing, grab a multi-meter and set it on continuity (so it beeps when you touch the leads together). Pull the wires off of the switch and touch the leads to the prongs on the switch. There should be no beep. Press the switch: beep. Same principle on the vacuum switch but they're harder to test as you need, as the name implies, a vacuum to operate it.

Have you tried a board reset? Search on here for the procedure on how to do that.

Eric

Thanks so much for your input. After experimenting with the connections to the vacuum switch both augers are working fine. Now there seems to be an issue with the blower in the fire box. Since both augers are working I noticed that the flame is burning much lower as normally in the start up phase. After a few minutes the pile of pellets builds up and the fire just dies down and just smolders out and there is an E2 error code even though there is a pile of pellets and it was burning fine at the start. Now the fire box is full of smoke and I can't even open the door to check it. Seems like it could be a blower issue in the fire box? Thanks again for your input. Randy

I would look at the blower to start with. It must be pulling just enough vacuum to allow the upper auger to turn but not enough for good combustion. If you feel comfortable, disconnect the exhaust motor from the control circuitry and wire it to a plug and plug it directly into the wall (its 110). Then start the stove.

When was the last time this stove was cleaned? I mean DEEP cleaned (leaf blower trick type clean). I suspect it might be getting chocked up.

Eric

So, I've done a deep cleaning of the stove and the upper auger will not spin on it's own. When I swap out the wires to the upper and lower augers they work as they should with the wires being reversed. The upper spins continuously and the lower rotates intermittently. When I put the wires back as they should be the lower auger spins continuously and the upper doesn't turn at all. I tried this several times with the same results. Why would the upper auger work with the wires reversed and not work when reverting back to the normal set up? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!!

It MIGHT be that the upper motor is just weak enough that it can't tolerate that intermittent on / off. My next suggestion would be to swap the motors. That would basically replicate what you did by swapping wires. If that works, I'd consider getting a spare motor just in case.

Eric

Reactions: johneh