Englander Burn Pot Build Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading this thread it got me wondering if my summers heat version of this stove was performing at its best. So I had to do a cleaning today anyways and did a couple of things. First off I closed the feed restrictor plate down some. Then adjusted the hopper hatch so now it is very snug when the latches are closed. Seeing the post by HD41 sparked my interest and I fully examined the wear plate and burn pot. What I found was burrs from the manufacturing process. So I go out the files and stones and removed all of the burrs and a piece of welding slag. The plate sits very flat on the burn pot now. Lastly I checked the tightness of the burn pot bolts located below the door and found those to be somewhat loose. Not enough to allow the burn pot to move but probably loose enough to allow for air leakage. I will let you folks know if there is less ash build up tomorrow. My ash build up was not as excessive as the OP.

After reading this thread it got me wondering if my summers heat version of this stove was performing at its best. So I had to do a cleaning today anyways and did a couple of things. First off I closed the feed restrictor plate down some. Then adjusted the hopper hatch so now it is very snug when the latches are closed. Seeing the post by HD41 sparked my interest and I fully examined the wear plate and burn pot. What I found was burrs from the manufacturing process. So I go out the files and stones and removed all of the burrs and a piece of welding slag. The plate sits very flat on the burn pot now. Lastly I checked the tightness of the burn pot bolts located below the door and found those to be somewhat loose. Not enough to allow the burn pot to move but probably loose enough to allow for air leakage. I will let you folks know if there is less ash build up tomorrow. My ash build up was not as excessive as the OP.

I was blaming the pellets and was about ready to load them up and negotiate a return. The stove had been burning OK before and I had routinely cleaned the ash below the burn plate before using Smith Creek pellets but apparently some ash remained where the burn plate rests creating a gap at the front that I later during another cleaning I noticed by chance. Another post mentioned warped burn plates; I don't know how common it is for the wear plate to cause such a great difference. With the same Smith Creek pellets I went from the pot filling and spilling over In 5 hours to running over 24 hours, pot only about 1/3 full. Be interesting if you find it makes a difference.

I was not able to find a thread that shows how to check and/or change the mode I am running in. Would like to try mode c if it's not already on it.
Try the ESW website

I can tell you from experience that the amount of build up the OP has is from air leaking in around the gaskets. Mine was the ash tray gasket. It seems that the ashtray some how got warped and the 1/8 gasket wouldn't seal any more. Changed it to a 1/4" thick gasket and the stove was like new. Mind you this was after Englander blamed it on the vacuum switch.... anyway if yours is like mine change that gasket and be sure it is sealing tight. Also check your door gasket. Mine was tight but will act the same way. And just an FYI - air leaks should trip the vacuum switch ... but not always....

Ok, so here is the scoop so to say. The fire was more active than previously noted, better burn. The ash build up was slightly less than what it previously was, which was about half of what the original OP had, but mine was after a 20hr burn 1 bag of pellets, not 8hrs and I never had the glowing mass of unburned pellets. It is better than before. I could probably go 2 days without emptying the ash but will probably do it daily. It gives me something to do. Sanding the hopper box to try to get the pellets fall a little better rather than having them "hang" on the sides.

Ok, so here is the scoop so to say. The fire was more active than previously noted, better burn. The ash build up was slightly less than what it previously was, which was about half of what the original OP had, but mine was after a 20hr burn 1 bag of pellets, not 8hrs and I never had the glowing mass of unburned pellets. It is better than before. I could probably go 2 days without emptying the ash but will probably do it daily. It gives me something to do. Sanding the hopper box to try to get the pellets fall a little better rather than having them "hang" on the sides.

Bugman; that's about where I am now with the Smith Creek pellets, could run another day but daily maintenance is not a chore. I shutdown yesterday just long enough to check the lower part of the burn pot, found very little ash. Smith Creek, Indeck Energy and Green Gold were unknowns to me so when I had the stove problem I wrongly blamed the Smith Creek pellets. I picked up single bags of Indeck Energy and Green Gold from Tractor Supply today for test burns. Tractor Supply store personnel say they get different pellet brands throughout the year so I want to try what is available before buying another ton. I just put a bag of Indeck Energy in the stove and should know more about them tomorrow morning.

I found the correct info for changing modes, and the oven was on setting A, changed it to C. Now I can set the heat and blower separately on the control board. Before both would be the same. As for the fire, seems a lot hotter than before, and doesn't seem to be feeding as many pellets. Burning now, and will check the burn pot in 8hrs.

It certainly sounds like something is wrong. I will say when I first got the stove it ran good. Clean outs needs 2-3 days apart. It went to at least once a day to twice a day clean outs because the burn pot was clogged. Replacing the ashtray gasket with a thicker gasket now has me cleaning out every 3-4 days and absolutely no build up in the burn pot at all and usually that would be one bag of pellets per day. I would have never tolerated the englander but I didnt want to spend another 3k on another quad. However I now like it almost better than the quad because it was only $800!

Reactions: apandori
I switched over to mode c and I can already tell the stove is running better. I also tightened the hopper lid latches. Now the lid can't move at all. No more pile of pellets for me!

Anybody know what the difference is between C and D?

I hear C mode rips through pellets, anyone have an estimation how much more?

I can't give ya numbers, but I tried it and got over that real fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.