Englander control board, lights out.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreezinSeesin

Jan 31, 2013
Hello all,

I have an Englander 25-pdvc and two nights ago i did a shut down and claen out... when i was done and went to start it up again, nothing. No lights, nothing moving and no digital display. The fuse appears to be good on the board.

Is the board cooked? Should i just cough up the money for a new board and hope it works?

Obviously i am hoping that someone out there may know some way to get it to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Before you send off for a new board, did you check the power at the plug? Unplug the cord, then remove and replace the crimped power connectors to the circuit board. Make sure the crimp connectors aren't loose or corroded. Also, for the money, I would replace the fuse first. If either of these aren't the issue, a board replacement would make sense.

Good luck!

I have seen mine do that. I unplugged it waited ten seconds and plugged it back in. Problem resolved itself. YMMV

The power at the plug is good. All the connectors, connections and ground are solid. The fuse looks good (i obviously cant see down into the metal caps at the ends) I tapped on it and the filiment doesn't move. Unplugged for a few minutes and still nothing. I unplugged all the auger and blower connections and it still doesn't even light up.

Not that you can do anything about it, but are there any capacitor cans on the circuit board with rounded tops? I've found more often than not that bad capacitors are the reason for failed electronics. You can usually tell because they look like a soda can that has overpressured. Any domed or leaking capacitors would be a quick way to identify a bad board.

I would stick with my first recommendation and replace the fuse first. It shouldn't cost more than $1 and you can get it at any hardware store / radio shack. It's something to quickly try. Ordering a board will probably take a few days before arrival.

New fuse worked. Amazing! I would have bet cash money that the other one was good. Huge weight off my shoulders when i go off to work tonight.

Thank you sooo much!

Reactions: kofkorn
New fuse worked. Amazing! I would have bet cash money that the other one was good. Huge weight off my shoulders when i go off to work tonight.

Thank you sooo much!
Now the question is "Why did it blow?"

Now the question is "Why did it blow?"
Hi harvey,Was probably a mechanical failure.Old style glass tube fuses filaments break right where they were spot welded to the caps.Probably from vibration working on stove,or when he "flicked it".In older cars I replaced many of these for this reason.Part of yearly maint. used to be pull all fuses,clean box,install new fuses.Man I do not miss them!

Hi harvey,Was probably a mechanical failure.Old style glass tube fuses filaments break right where they were spot welded to the caps.Probably from vibration working on stove,or when he "flicked it".In older cars I replaced many of these for this reason.Part of yearly maint. used to be pull all fuses,clean box,install new fuses.Man I do not miss them!
Maybe. Cars are really hard on any mechanical equipment. I can understand a filament type fuse fatiguing from the constant vibration and shock of being in a car. In a pellet stove, I wouldn't be so fast to claim it as mechanical fatigue.
Might be thermal shock from the igniter cycles, but that's a weak maybe.
Time will tell.

assuming its still up and running (got here late)

sometimes a fuse just breaks , they are essentially just like an Edison light bulb, eventually they can just give out. hopefully that was the case to the OP if it blows again let me know so I can help figure out your issue

Reactions: Mt Bob
assuming its still up and running (got here late)

sometimes a fuse just breaks , they are essentially just like an Edison light bulb, eventually they can just give out. hopefully that was the case to the OP if it blows again let me know so I can help figure out your issue

*or...."maybe", he had the back off, when he cleaned it, and it was plugged in..."and" a metal piece of the vac, shorted something, by contact, or static.

no details, of what exactly was done during the cleaning...

Status
Not open for further replies.