Englander - First overburn :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teamorange

Oct 8, 2008
RHODE ISLAND
So it looks like I had my first overburn yesterday with the stove. I thought I cleaned out the ash from the burn pot already, guess not!! So I started it up and 15 minutes later I had the same burn off smell from the first burn. I was like what is going on, went and looked and the first was BLAZING!!! So I hit the off button and waited for it to shut down, then cleaned the ash out and everything was fine... I wasn't sure it already got to shut down mode or not, didn't even look... Does the stove have a shut down mode if it gets too hot like that? I know eventually it would have died down... This happen to anyone else before? I guess its true when they say to clean the ash before every startup...

teamorange said:
So it looks like I had my first overburn yesterday with the stove. I thought I cleaned out the ash from the burn pot already, guess not!! So I started it up and 15 minutes later I had the same burn off smell from the first burn. I was like what is going on, went and looked and the first was BLAZING!!! So I hit the off button and waited for it to shut down, then cleaned the ash out and everything was fine... I wasn't sure it already got to shut down mode or not, didn't even look... Does the stove have a shut down mode if it gets too hot like that? I know eventually it would have died down... This happen to anyone else before? I guess its true when they say to clean the ash before every startup...

From Englanders website:

E-3: Over temperature limit: This unit has the ability to moderate itself should the unit attain too high a temperature. In some cases the unit will display an E-3 and go into a cool down sequence, in other cases the top auger will be interrupted until the unit has cooled enough that it deems itself safe to continue running. The following are common causes for this to happen:

A. Smaller pellets can feed through the system faster than normal sized ones (about 1" long on average is normal size for pellets). This happens because the smaller the pellets are the more of them will settle into the top auger at a time which causes the unit to feed more fuel than normal in each feed setting.

B.
Running heat range higher than blower speed, the room air blower not only blows the heat into the room, as it is doing so it is also providing a cooling function to the unit internally. As room air is blown through the unit, it removes heat from it, thereby cooling the unit down. If not enough room air is moved through the unit, the heat then builds up inside the unit until over temp limit is reached.
Note: this can cause damage to the unit if allowed to happen frequently.

http://englanderstoves.com/help/PelletStove/ecodes04.html

I can't lower the room blower lower than the heat setting, the contol board won't do it. Maybe that is a new feature...

Nice, so it does have that function. Well hopefully it doesn't happen again, but if it does I will check to see if the E3 error is on it. I will also check to see if my blower setting can go lower then the heat setting. I just purchased mine a little over a month ago. So does everyone clean the burn pot before they start it up?

teamorange said:
Nice, so it does have that function. Well hopefully it doesn't happen again, but if it does I will check to see if the E3 error is on it. I will also check to see if my blower setting can go lower then the heat setting. I just purchased mine a little over a month ago. So does everyone clean the burn pot before they start it up?

I actually do a quick clean twice a day trying for efficiency. In the morning I hit the off button and within 3 minutes the flame goes out. I open the door and with a pair of channel locks lift and dump the wear plate to the side ash dump. If necessary I hit the wear plate with a putty knife. Start the stove back up. Takes less than 5 minutes. I do it again about 12 hours later. With this stove I don't know how the auto igniter can work without cleaning the burn pot. I don't use the auto igniter anymore. It seems faster to start manually. I keep a 5 qt. pail next to the stove with a glove, putty knife, channel locks, scooping spoon, table spoon, grill lighter.

you can't set the blower speed lower then the feed speed

my stove won't do this it is a safety feature

if you set your feed speed to 7 8 or 9 the blower speed will auto increase at these levels

good rule is set your blower 2 higher then your feed speed

Status
Not open for further replies.