Englander hearth pad clarification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas138

Jan 10, 2016
NC
Hello,

I have been reading many threads on here about hearth pads/floor protection and am hoping I can find some clarification to my problem. We just got an Englander 13nch to put on the main floor of our house. Previously, our stove has been downstairs on a concrete slab so this is our first time building a hearth.

Here is the confusion, the manual states that the pad must be on a 1" thick non combustible mill board or a durable equivalent. We used 1" plywood with two layers of 1/2" Durock with thin set and ceramic tile over this with the understanding that 1/2" Durock equivalent to 3/8" non combustible mill board as told by the folks at the hardware store. Also, it suggests a k value of .84 and a single sheet of Durock has a k value of .84. However, the manual also states that the "durable equivalent" should have an R-value of 2. So now we are trying to decide if we need to add roughly 6 sheets of Durock over the base we already have and tile that again to meet the R value even though we have more than adequate suggested k value and non combustible thickness. I hope this is clear, the manual just seems to have conflicting information that I can't quite understand.

Thanks for your help!
Thomas

Did you use Durock NexGen? If so it has an R value of .39, so 5 sheets would get you close enough. Many do a bottom layer of 1/2" Micore @R=1.03, first to build up R value.

You may have read my recent post, but I have an Englander 13-NC and I am planning on 5 sheets of Durock New Generation, then Ceramic Floor Tile. I would like to put in Micore, but I can't find any locally, last I checked anyway.

Thanks for the help. We could not find micore locally. we just added 3 more layers of Durock next gen as well as mortar and tile so we will be coming in higher than suggested r value.

Thanks again
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.