Englander heat exhange, do you need to clean it??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
while visiting some local dealers I saw brands such as Harman, Quads and Avalon with some louvers/rods that allow you to move in/out to clean their heat exchange tubes.

Is there a need to clean this in the Englander at all, if so then how?

Englander doesnt really have a heat exchanger as such. It has a chamber in back of the firepot that needs to be vacuumed out occasionally. Its behind the impingment plate and you just vacuum out what you can reach.

The leaf blower method geraly does a good job...I tap the back behind the impingement plate with sa skrewdriver handle...nocks most of it loose...blower does the rest.....

Michael6268 said:
Englander doesnt really have a heat exchanger as such. It has a chamber in back of the firepot that needs to be vacuumed out occasionally. Its behind the impingment plate and you just vacuum out what you can reach.

Interesting that there is no heat exchanger in the Englander. I wonder if the body mass itself is used?
Anyone have a diagram of the heat / flow system or how it all happens in an Englander?

Status
Not open for further replies.