englander heat settings question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hnkstang50

Feb 28, 2010
nj
i have a 55-shpepl stove since 2009. It has an OAK installed and has worked great since ive owned it and I mostly stick to one brand pellet that I like (wood heat). my stove has always run hot. I use either heat setting 1 or 3 from a choice of 1-9. on setting 1 it always runs around 250 at the vents (measured with infrared heat gun). on setting 3 it runs 375-400. any higher than 3 and it seemed the pellets would start to pile up over time and I was happy with the heat anyway on 3. also on 3 the stove will go into over heat mode meaning it will put the room blower on high basically all the time. setting 2 would always seem to be the exact same as 1 so I never use it.

now I am burning softwood pellets for the first time and the stove is running way hotter. around 275-300 on 1 and 450-475 on setting 3. I would like to have more adjustment in the heat range. I would expect this kind of heat on setting 8 or 9 and be able to use something inbetween cool and super hot. I checked and my stove is set on mode 2 and the lower buttons are on 1 5 1. is there a mode that would allow the stove to run cooler?

Yep sounds to me like your control board settings need to be adjusted. Others will probably chime in on how... or like IHATEPROPANE says you could call tech at Englander. 250 at the vents is incredible at least in comparison to mine. I'd be at setting 7 or higher to get that... I would assume.

Yea I will call customer service I supose. I thought mike might chime in. The ep stoves don't have the a b c d modes. They are in numbers. Mine is on 2 and from what I searched that is the factory mode. I didn't know if changing it to 3 would be like going from c to d.

Reactions: jeremygrimm
I run mine in the following manner:
heat setting 1 --> outside temp +5C to -10C
heat setting 2 --> outside temp -10C to -25C
heat setting 3 --> outside temp -25C to -40C

... never needed beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.