englander home depot nch30 heat shielding rear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greythorn3

Minister of Fire
Oct 8, 2007
Alaska
wheelordie.com
i was wondering if you guys thought it would be a safe idea to install the englander nch30 with just the rear heat shield on it and the double wall pipe to be able to get it as close as 5" to the wall, i dont want the side shields really on there, infact i am thinking about making my own rear shield out of 1/8" steel or 16 gauge

also if anyone has the shields on theres if they could post a picture and some thickness dimension i would appreciate it.

No side heat shield? Try this. Put your stove 5" from the shield protected wall. Measure from the unshielded sides of the stove to the wall. The parts of the wall that are less than 12" will overheat. Radiant heat radiates in all directions. The ray coming from the side of your stove straight back to the wall is just as powerful as the ray that leaves the stove at right angles.

Do the measurement in reverse. Measure from the closest part of the wall to the stove side. All of the area of the side of the stove within 12" will be sending rays to the point that you are measuring from.

maybe make partial sides

I started thinking about this when I discovered the VC Encore only needs a sheet metal ember pan if equipped with the lower heat shield. Funny that, thinks me, since the sides of the stove are not shielded, yet are within 8" of the floor. As I was considering that issue, I saw your post. The only thing I can think of on the Encore is the primary air channels and the double cast wall must keep things cool enough. If that is the case, then the stove must not throw off much heat from the sides.

In your case, if you are going half shields on the sides, why not go all the way and have peace of mind.

because i want the stove to radiate from the sides into the room but not the back.

because i want the stove to radiate from the sides into the room but not the back.

That makes sense to me. I sent you a PM. Jim

well with the side shields the difference would be 5" with shields and double wall to 14" nothing. 9" closer towards the wall. thats quite a bit but i dont know if its worth messing with shields to gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.