Englander Insert or Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

usner21

Oct 16, 2009
Eastern PA
I currently have a fireplace in my basement with dimensions of 33†wide, 28†high, and 24†deep from the center of the front to the back wall. I have an old Pacific Super Series "D" insert installed currently. I am looking at buying a newer insert and got to wondering if the Englander 13-NC would fit into my opening? I know I could go with the Englander 13-NCI but was thinking I could get more bang for my buck if I can get the non-insert model to fit. What do you guys think? Would it fit back into my fireplace opening?

Funny you posted this, I am thinking of doing the same thing!! I was sold on an insert, my wife saw a more expensive "prettier" model etc etc. Now I back to a more affordable insert as she wants new bedroom furniture and mattress. Im looking foward to seeing what replys you get.

Yeah I just wanted to get soemthing newer and a little more efficient in. I am on a fairly tight budget and like what I have read/saw about Englander model stoves.

Anyone? Any advantages to having the free standing Englander rather than the insert?

Hey Guys,

I have a 13-NC in my fireplace. I went with it first because of cost and I liked the look better than an insert. I am heating a 1400sqft ranch with mine. I love it! I will post some pics soon. I will try to answer any questions you have.

Look at my dimensions above of my fireplace. Do you think I can fit the NC or will I need the insert. I am kind of leaning toward the insert but if I could save a couple hundred that would be ok too!

FireAnt said:
Hey Guys,

I have a 13-NC in my firebox. I went with it first because of cost and I liked the look better than an insert. I am heating a 1400sqft ranch with mine. I love it! I will post some pics soon. I will try to answer any questions you have.

Looking foward to pics!!

Very similar to my set up....looking to heat around 1100 sq ft....great post.

Ramcononer said:

1100sqft ranch + 13NC + seasoned wood= Happy!

FireAnt said:
Ramcononer said:

Im just concerned about the heat traveling upstairs too much since the stairway is close to the stove.....I guess only one way to find out.

So you guys know my set up.

13-NC
15ft Flex King liner (insulated) from Chimney Liner Depot
Chimney is inside the garage not on an outside wall.

Ramcononer said:
FireAnt said:
Ramcononer said:

Im just concerned about the heat traveling upstairs too much since the stairway is close to the stove.....I guess only one way to find out.

I don't really have an answer for you in this department. My guess is some would recommend fans strategically placed. I have learned to use fans around the house to pull the heat around...

FireAnt said:
Ramcononer said:
FireAnt said:
Ramcononer said:

I don't really have an answer for you in this department. My guess is some would recommend fans strategically placed. I have learned to use fans around the house to pull the heat around...

Have the fans helped alot...I have had a lot of sales people tell me that I can use a 1500 sq ft unit and EVENTUALLY it will get the chill out of the other parts of the house...maybe not heat the areas but take the chill out....who knows....

The fans do help. It doesn't have to be a lot of wind. 72* at the back of the house. Probably 75+ in the family room here. I think the 13 is rated for 1800??

FireAnt said:
The fans do help. It doesn't have to be a lot of wind. 72* at the back of the house. Probably 75+ in the family room here. I think the 13 is rated for 1800??

Is says 1200-1800...my house is just over 1900 but I have 4 bedrooms and 2 of them will be closed off as well as two of the bathrooms upstairs...I have one in my "cart" on amfm energy for a refab'd unit....might just pulll the trigger....goal is to use it like you until I can afford the "pretty" insert my wifey wants....ugh...

Ramcononer said:
FireAnt said:

Is says 1200-1800...my house is just over 1900 but I have 4 bedrooms and 2 of them will be closed off as well as two of the bathrooms upstairs...I have one in my "cart" on amfm energy for a refab'd unit....might just pulll the trigger....goal is to use it like you until I can afford the "pretty" insert my wifey wants....ugh...

1900 may push the limits for this stove. If you plan on saving money for a bigger insert or **cough** hearth mount stove, this may suit you fine for the time being. It will help you learn. Not that it's a beginners stove. Just a smaller stove.

BTW- I cut both 18" and 10" pieces for this stove. I do different combo's.

A full stove packed N/S with 10's

2 18's E/W with 3 or 4 10's across the top N/S

4 18's stacked E/W 2 in the back 2 in the front.

I am getting 6+hr burns this way, and also plenty of coals in the morning to start.

FireAnt said:
Ramcononer said:
FireAnt said:

1900 may push the limits for this stove. If you plan on saving money for a bigger insert or **cough** hearth mount stove, this may suit you fine for the time being. It will help you learn. Not that it's a beginners stove. Just a smaller stove.

I am getting 6+hr burns this way, and also plenty of coals in the morning to start.

Again, AWESOME ADVICE!!!! I just found another NC13 with a free blower....gonna just pull the trigger I think...I don't know why I am being so scared.

usner21 said:
I currently have a fireplace in my basement with dimensions of 33†wide, 28†high, and 24†deep from the center of the front to the back wall. I have an old Pacific Super Series "D" insert installed currently. I am looking at buying a newer insert and got to wondering if the Englander 13-NC would fit into my opening? I know I could go with the Englander 13-NCI but was thinking I could get more bang for my buck if I can get the non-insert model to fit. What do you guys think? Would it fit back into my fireplace opening?

This seems like a step backward. The 13 NCI is a slightly smaller firebox. I am failing to see how this would improve things. Is there a problem with the Pacific?

Ramcononer said:
FireAnt said:
Ramcononer said:
FireAnt said:

Again, AWESOME ADVICE!!!! I just found another NC13 with a free blower....gonna just pull the trigger I think...I don't know why I am being so scared.

PULLED THE TRIGGER!!! $549 with a blower...

Congratulations. Now let's get back to the OP.

Attachments

• content-hijack.jpg
    content-hijack.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 287
BeGreen said:
Congratulations. Now let's get back to the OP.

Agreed and my apologies.
OP: I will measure my opening tonight and let you know the dimensions and how it works out.

A little late here, post trigger pull, but here's what I've got: Firebox dims, 36"H x 25.75"W x 14" D; the 13NC sits all the way back into the firebox which leaved me 20" of hearth from the face of the stove (not door).

I'm sure I'd get better heat if the stove sat out further on the hearth, but this is my first stove and first year burning so I hope to have some years of discovery and experimentation ahead of me. We haven't had much real cold yet, but I'm sure I'll be happier and warmer than with the "forced dust" system.

Congratulations and best of luck!

Attachments

• IMG_7678.jpg
    IMG_7678.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 308
Status
Not open for further replies.