Englander Insert or Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My pacific insert was from the early 90's so I am looking for an upgrade in age and efficiency. Any suggestions?

the 13NC's dims are: 28 1/2 H (including flue collar and on pedestal) x 25 1/4 W x 17 3/8 D (not including blower).

You'll get great responses here from folks, but I suggest you upload some pics, include a drawing of the house layout with the proposed location of the stove and explain any other conditions that may effect stove/insert choice, i.e., insulation, climate, etc.

I was leaning toward the Englander 13 NCI but was curious if there is any reason I should or could go with a stove rather than insert. I have had an insert the last 3 years and it did the trick. I am just looking for a newer more efficient insert. As I said my pacific energy insert was from 1990.

first time wood stove owner here, so i can't contribute too much toward your choices and reasoning. others will have way more and better advise. one thing i can point out is that the 13NC stove has hefty non-combustibility/r-value requirements under the stove, not sure what the insert needs, but things like that may be of interest to check out if rebuilding your hearth is or might be an issue.

So are the Englander 13 insert and stove pretty comparable?

Best thing to do is go to the Englander website and check the specs and download owner's manuals for the two stoves. In case you don't know (I didn't) Englander sells the exact same stove under different brand names: Englander, Summer's Heat and TimberRidge. In other words, when you get to the website it doesn't matter which "brand" you click on for the purpose of checking specs. They do this naming thing to distinguish retailers, i.e., Home Depot sells Englander and Lowes sells Summer's Heat, etc. However, they are the exact same stove.

Just a quick look but it looks like insert has smaller door than stove? Also, I think one of the moderators today pointed in an earlier post out that the 13 has a smaller firebox than what you have now, which is definitely something to consider

http://www.englanderstoves.com/

Yeah I saw that about the smaller firebox but wasn't sure if he knew my Pacific Energy insert was from 1990?

usner21 said:
My pacific insert was from the early 90's so I am looking for an upgrade in age and efficiency. Any suggestions?

I would go for a new Pacific Energy insert or just fix up your old one with fresh bricks and perhaps the new style baffle as long as it is in good shape. It's a better overall stove with a little larger and more flexible in firebox size. Contact Tom at www.chimneysweeponline.com for an assessment and quote.

I would but I already sold the old stove. Now I am in need of a new one ASAP! I am looking to spend less than $1500 on the insert. I need to heat about 1100 to 1300 sq ft. Any suggestions?

Sorry to hear that. The Englander 13 NCI will work for you and can be found for $700-800.

www.overstockstoves.com

$900. bucks, in fireplace 30" high. NC 30 replacing a Regency Insert. Works awesome and keeps 1500 sf ranch style house 75 degress from one end to the other. Running block off plate with rear mounted blower and a small personal fan blowing @ the stove from 20' away. Best change I ever made.

Attachments

• 30 Fire Up 001 (Custom).jpg
    30 Fire Up 001 (Custom).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 205
Is the englander insert my best bet or would I be better off with a larger insert?

usner21 said:
Is it my best bet or would I be better off with a larger insert?

I personaly would never have another insert. Stove works alot better IMO

If I could have fit a free standing stove in my FP, I'da been all over it.

I'm quoting the quote here, "go big, or go home".

My 2 cents :)

To get the 30 though I would have to modify my hearth. I am hoping to keep it inside my fireplace. Could I remove a couple rows of brick from the floor of my fire box to allow the 30 to fit?

if you need to modify, then modify out --extend the hearth out and have the stove sit on it instead of in the firebox, you'll get more heat out in the space and less absorbed by the bricks above.

I have a flex liner now inside my firebox I can reuse that correct? Could I just build a hearth pad in front of my fireplace and set the 30 on it?

I heat about 1500 sq ft. with my NCI. If I were to do it again(when I do it again) I would go stove. I didn't put the surround on my insert for keeping more heat in the room and aesthetics. I like the hearth stove look vs a big black panel. Another thought on the insert, is the blower being in front...Loud!

Wingman said:
I heat about 1500 sq ft. with my NCI. If I were to do it again(when I do it again) I would go stove. I didn't put the surround on my insert for keeping more heat in the room and aesthetics. I like the hearth stove look vs a big black panel. Another thought on the insert, is the blower being in front...Loud!

All in all are you happy with that insert for your 1500 sq ft?

Yes, but like I said I would go stove vs insert. My house is set up like a H. Stove is in living room in one leg of the H and the back bedrooms in the other leg of the H. Those rooms can get up to high 60's-70's, while the stove room will be in the mid to upper 70's. I got leaky old windows and other leaks to be sealed, once I take care of that I should be sitting prettier.

Status
Not open for further replies.