Englander Lower Auger Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

agrossm

Dec 12, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Does anyone have any tips on cleaning the lower auger tube on a Summers Heat 55-SHP10? I have been using a screwdriver to clean weekly, and was wondering if there is an easier way.
I just bought this stove off of craigslist a month or so ago (new in the box) and it has been preforming wonderfully. I am new to pellets so any other suggestions/recommendations are appreciated.
Also, I have read on this forum that you can tweak the lower 3 buttons to minimize pellet consumption; which I have done. My question regarding this is with the last button, the air on temp button. I would assume this is the temp at witch the room air blower comes on, am I right or does it have another effect on stove operation?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I just scrape or chip it away with a screw driver.

agrossm said:
Does anyone have any tips on cleaning the lower auger tube on a Summers Heat 55-SHP10? I have been using a screwdriver to clean weekly, and was wondering if there is an easier way.
I just bought this stove off of craigslist a month or so ago (new in the box) and it has been preforming wonderfully. I am new to pellets so any other suggestions/recommendations are appreciated.
Also, I have read on this forum that you can tweak the lower 3 buttons to minimize pellet consumption; which I have done. My question regarding this is with the last button, the air on temp button. I would assume this is the temp at witch the room air blower comes on, am I right or does it have another effect on stove operation?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
i seen some say they use a small file....as far as that last button, don't make any adjustments on it....leave it at 1

I used a # 3 straight edge screw driver, but also put on a pair of work gloves, saves the skin when the screwdriver slips ;-)

agrossm said:
.....I just bought this stove off of craigslist a month or so ago (new in the box) and it has been preforming wonderfully..........Also, I have read on this forum that you can tweak the lower 3 buttons to minimize pellet consumption; which I have done. My question regarding this is with the last button, the air on temp button. I would assume this is the temp at witch the room air blower comes on, am I right or does it have another effect on stove operation?......

Since it is a brand new stove, I don't think there would be any need to scrape anything in the auger yet.....maybe in a month or 2.

The bottom right button does tell the stove when to turn the blower on....never change it from 1.

BTW, what setting do you have the bottom buttons at?

As far as cleaning the carbon build-up on the bottom auger, a Dremel tool with a sanding drum makes the task easy, leave the bottom button on 1.

I was running at 5-3-1, but the flame would go out and the pellets would smolder then reignite with a huge flame, so I went to 5-4-1 and that seemed to work ok. However, last night I cleaned the stove well, removed the baffle plate and vacuumed. When I restarted it was doing the same as on 5-3-1 so I went back to the factory 6-4-1. I am burning Ozark Hardwood Products pellets ($4.99/bag cheapest found thus far locally).
Also, I have noticed since day one that on the low settings the flame is not consistent (Heat Range 1 or 2 and Blower 5 or 6). It is big and small as pellets are fed into the burn pot. Seems to me that instead of turning the top auger on and off it would have been better to make the top auger motor a DC motor and vary the voltage to it. This would give a constant pellet feed at varying rates to maintain a steady fire. I guess this would have increased the cost. At higher settings the fire is fairly consistent.
One other question, I've been burning the stove for about a month and a half now and as I cleaned it last night I noticed the paint is flaking off the baffle plate. Is this normal? I followed the bake in at 5 and 5 for the first 5 hrs. of operation (my living room was 89*). I suppose I'll just get some hi-temp black paint when it gets worse.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.