Englander 'Madison' stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got mine from sutherlands. It wasnt on the web site. I called the store and asked. What do you want pics of i can send some after work?

Any pics you can get on here would be wonderful, but specifically the AAS setup if you can. Also, the web info states it can take an 18'' log. Is that realistic? Is the fan it comes with variable? Thanks ahead of time. I guess if ESW won't do it, we will have to take care of their marketing :)

Any pics you can get on here would be wonderful, but specifically the AAS setup if you can. Also, the web info states it can take an 18'' log. Is that realistic? Is the fan it comes with variable? Thanks ahead of time. I guess if ESW won't do it, we will have to take care of their marketing :)
The AAS is part of the damper system. It is located at the back of the stove under the rear heat shield and a cover plate. So i cant get a pic of it.
image.jpg
This is the illustration from the manual. You dont have to use the AAS. The damper works wether you use it or not. I have run my stove, in burn test up to 540*. The AAS didnt trip. So i emailed ESW. This is a copy of the reply.
I spoke to a member of the design team for the stove and what his opinion is is that the unit was virtually on the cusp of dropping the trigger at that temp. He said that anywhere from about 530-550"ish" is about the break point measured just in front of the collar on the top. He also mentioned that the "trigger' spring being a bi-metallic coil sometimes has to "work in" so he recommends burning a few fires allowing the stove to cool considerably between them to allow the coil to "work" itself in. Once its settled in it should start dropping consistently.
As far as an 18" stick. Its tight east & west. The inside of the firebox measures 18"s e&w. North &south its, if im remembering correct, its 18" from the glass to the back of the firebox. But there is a 1" high 4" wide step at the front if the firebox. From that step to the back of the firebox is 14". Ill post a pic of this after i get home. I cut my wood around 16" and am going to burn e&w.
The fan is the standard one that comes with the englander stoves. Rocker switch with high, off , low. And on high its quite loud.

I like the stove. I haven't really burnt it enough to have any cons.
The pro thats stood out to me was. Ember protection only hearth pad, the pedestal is taller than the 13/30 not as hard on the back during reload, huge glass in the door, the door opens the full width of the firebox, when the AAS get broke in. I think that will be a really nice asset and 7.5" to combustibles from the back.
Ill post some pics after i get home.

Sounds about right on the AAS. Secondary combustion usually kicks off around 550 stove top temp on my stoves.

Sounds about right on the AAS. Secondary combustion usually kicks off around 550 stove top temp on my stoves.
I get that. But the manual say 550 is max temp. Up to 600 briefly. Anything over 600 is over fire.
I shut it down at 430, the secondary's lit off and the temp climbed to 540.
If it climbs 100 after secondarys light then thats in over fire

I just looked at the manual for the first time. Interesting that they say to place the thermo on one side or the other over the door. Any stove with glass air wash is cooler at the top front over the door than in the middle of the top of the stove.

Also noticed that the term "dog box" has made it into a manual for the first time. ;lol

I just looked at the manual for the first time. Interesting that they say to place the thermo on one side or the other over the door. Any stove with glass air wash is cooler at the top front over the door than in the middle of the top of the stove.

Also noticed that the term "dog box" has made it into a manual for the first time. ;lol
I felt on top, with my hand, and found the warmest spot as it was heating up. Thats where i put the thermo. And it was above the door on either side.

That is a long way from "above the door".

Where do you get the thermometers like that? Is there anywhere online I can order one? Thanks.

The Condar Inferno stove thermometer is well-liked here. Google it and you will find plenty of places that sell it.

Where do you get the thermometers like that? Is there anywhere online I can order one? Thanks.

I have found my infrared to be more useful than my stove-top thermometer. With it, there is no doubt that the front of my stove top is much cooler than the middle or back. I use it most often to monitor flue temps, which I've noticed tend to vary much more quickly than registered by my magnetic thermometer.

I got my infrared at Harbor Freight for $25. My $15 magnetic model finally broke after falling off the flue (more than once) when I pegged it and it lost its magnetism at the high temp (oops). The infrared also happens to be a much funner toy than a magnetic stove top model... even the cat agrees, and he's never even bothered with the digital readout, only with the laser.

Status
Not open for further replies.