Englander - Make me one of these!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Minister of Fire
Whenever I go to upgrade from my Amesti N380 (sad I'm already thinking this way and we haven't even lit it up yet, I think I have the bug), I really want a "log" style stove. Something that can take at least 20" but still be pretty small. Enter the Vogelzang Durango:

172903_lg.jpg

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200339109_200339109

Now, the quality may be a bit low, but it IS EPA approved and has secondary combustion. It could use a larger window and I'm guessing it's probably of mediocre build quality. That's where I want Englander to come in. They should build something along these lines. This thing is rated for 73,790 btu and can take a 26" log. Even if those numbers are inflated and it's more like 60,000 btu and a 20" log, that's perfect! My Amesti can take a max of a 16" log but looks like it will be happier with 13" or so, and it only puts out 35,000 btu. I hate cutting my wood that short. But the Englander 17-VL isn't any better and I don't want a big/wide stove like the 13-NC or 30-NC.

Come on Englander, build me a plate steel log stove with made in the USA quality for a good price! I'll buy one, I promise!

Actually, come to think of it, a modified Englander 17-VL could be perfect. Move the door to the narrow side, move the chimney hookup to the new back of the stove top, make it 4" longer than the current one is wide and you'd have a winner! Oh yeah, probably have legs on the under side instead of the "stand". Sell it for $100 more than the 17-VL and you have a winner!

Pacific Energy is upset and offended that you are ignoring them!

TrueNorth:
Straight-in fuel loading
Accepts 18" logs
PacificEnergy_TrueNorth-TN19_Wood_Stove_PD.jpg

joecool85 said:
This thing is rated for 73,790 btu and can take a 26" log. Even if those numbers are inflated and it's more like 60,000 btu and a 20" log, that's perfect!

I'd bet those numbers are REALLY inflated.

Also, it is a 2.2 cu ft firebox. The TrueNorth is 1.9. That's pretty close with a lot better efficiency and quality.

The problem with this stove is it doesn't have much better clearance than the Vogelzang on the sides (20", 16" with side shields as opposed to 22" for Vogelzang), it is too wide at almost 20" wide (I'd like something like the 17-VL, 12.5" wide, maybe as much as 14-16") and lastly I'm guessing it is far more expensive than what Englander could do for me. I'm not sure on the price since I couldn't find any online for it.

**edit**
But I should note that you are right and this is closer to what I was thinking of than the Vogelzang and as such may be a better starting point for the Englander guys :p

joecool85 said:
The problem with this stove is it doesn't have much better clearance than the Vogelzang on the sides (20", 16" with side shields as opposed to 22" for Vogelzang), it is too wide at almost 20" wide (I'd like something like the 17-VL, 12.5" wide, maybe as much as 14-16") and lastly I'm guessing it is far more expensive than what Englander could do for me. I'm not sure on the price since I couldn't find any online for it.

**edit**
But I should note that you are right and this is closer to what I was thinking of than the Vogelzang and as such may be a better starting point for the Englander guys :p

Jøtul F 118 CB Black Bear
Log length: 24"
http://www.jotul.com/en-US/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-stoves/Jotul-F-118-CB-Black-Bear/
Jotul_F118_BlackBear_Wood_Stove_PD.jpg

joecool85 said:
Perfect stove, albeit a bit ugly, but super expensive. If someone made something like that out of plate steel and for cheap (sub $1,000) I'd be all over it.

One man's ugly...

And Englander maintains low pricing due to volume and simplicity. Don't expect them to be expanding their line up all that much.

BrowningBAR said:
joecool85 said:
Perfect stove, albeit a bit ugly, but super expensive. If someone made something like that out of plate steel and for cheap (sub $1,000) I'd be all over it.

One man's ugly...

And Englander maintains low pricing due to volume and simplicity. Don't expect them to be expanding their line up all that much.

You're probably right on that. Also I guess the black bear goes for $1,300 or so from some quick online searching - that's not too bad and I do like Jotul. Maybe they'll be one in my home in the future. I'm just such a fan of plate steel. I love the raw functionality of it.

joecool85 said:
BrowningBAR said:
joecool85 said:

One man's ugly...

You're probably right on that. Also I guess the black bear goes for $1,300 or so from some quick online searching - that's not too bad and I do like Jotul. Maybe they'll be one in my home in the future. I'm just such a fan of plate steel. I love the raw functionality of it.

Just be aware, there have been complaints about this model from Jotul. Do a search here to read up on it to find out if it is right for you.

My englander -30 already takes a 20" log and puts out 75000 BTU,s and i just bought another new one for $649.00 plus free shipping to your home or business. Aaaaaaaaaaaand it a lot prettier than the china stove pictured. With a much larger viewing window.

trump said:
My englander -30 already takes a 20" log and puts out 75000 BTU,s and i just bought another new one for $649.00 plus free shipping to your home or business. Aaaaaaaaaaaand it a lot prettier than the china stove pictured. With a much larger viewing window.

True, but the OP was hoping for a stove with narrower dimensions.

Aaaaaaaaand Vogelzang isn't made in China.

^Aaaaand, I'm wrong after a quick search.

I'd love an Englander 30 if:

a) It fit in my house (small house, small area for the stove)

b) The wife was ok with the looks of a "wide" stove

But due to those two issues, it won't be happening. Even the 13 won't quite fit.

And actually, I like the styling of the Vogelzang. If it had a larger window and wasn't made in China I'd be all over it.

**edit**
As for the Black Bear, yeah, I've read of people having some issues. It's certainly something we'd want to think about first. Odds are we will stick with the Amesti for at least a few seasons before thinking about upgrading but that will depend on how well it heats the house and how much I get frustrated cutting and stacking 13" wood.

Morso 2B
Take 18 inch logs. $1000. Looks good and cheaper than the Jotul. Tiny firebox though.

kingquad said:
Morso 2B
Take 18 inch logs. $1000. Looks good and cheaper than the Jotul. Tiny firebox though.

Funny you mention that, I was just reading about that right now. Problem is it has horrible side clearance ratings at 20" with heat shields and double wall connectors, this makes it so it wouldn't fit on our hearth - we'd be too close to the wall. Other than that it is close to perfect. I suppose 35,000 btu is a little on the low side, but I could live with that and the 18" log length is close enough to the 20" I was looking for. It's also a gorgeous piece:

2bstandardstove1100px_650.jpg

**edit**
Also the manual doesn't mention being able to reduce clearances with wall shields so I'm not sure we could do the normal "use a wall shield mounted 1" off the wall and cut the distance by 2/3" thing. If that was possible then this stove would fit. And my wife loves squirrels which this has on the side. We actually thought about a Morso 1440 but it only takes 10-12" wood!

Don't forget too that with 20" logs, they are much harder to split.

http://www.buckstove.com/wood/littlejohn.html

Buck Stove's "Little John". My local dealer was selling them for $550 last year. Bigger stove though. Would be nice if they made the same thing a little smaller with tighter clearances.

Backwoods Savage said:
Don't forget too that with 20" logs, they are much harder to split.

True, and I split by hand so that is an important thing to remember. My thinking was to have a stove that could take 18-20" logs but I would cut my stuff to 16". That way if I have the random slightly long piece I don't have to cut it in half or trim a couple inches off, I could just burn it as is.

MaintenanceMan said:

Buck Stove's "Little John". My local dealer was selling them for $550 last year. Bigger stove though. Would be nice if they made the same thing a little smaller with tighter clearances.

Not EPA approved, no window and clearances stink. Sorry, that's a no-go.

BrowningBAR said:

TrueNorth:
Straight-in fuel loading
Accepts 18" logs

I haven't my brother and I ordered one each a month ago and is supposed to be in this friday. $950 each 1.9 cu/f fire box 18" log. Can't wait to give it a burn out in the yard!

Billy

joecool85 said:
MaintenanceMan said:

Not EPA approved, no window and clearances stink. Sorry, that's a no-go.

Yeah, I just caught the not EPA approved deal. It does have a window though it's just microscopic...lol.

Cowboy Billy said:
I haven't my brother and I ordered one each a month ago and is supposed to be in this friday. $950 each 1.9 cu/f fire box 18" log. Can't wait to give it a burn out in the yard!

Billy

$950 ? That's not bad...too bad the closest dealer to me is in CT.

**edit**
That was according to the website. HOWEVER, I do have a Pacific Energy dealer 30 minutes from me and he said he can order the TN19 for $999 and have it in 2 days. No way to see it in person first though. Something to think about for sure. It is a tick on the wide side, but I like that it's made here in North America, it is plate steel, it is a N/S loader and it can take 18" logs. It's probably the closest fit I'll find on the market currently.

Thanks BrowningBAR for bringing this model to my attention, I never would have thought of checking Pacific Energy.

joecool85 said:
BrowningBAR said:

TrueNorth:
Straight-in fuel loading
Accepts 18" logs

I found an issue with this stove: it's not on the EPA-approved list

http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/certifiedwood.pdf

Even my Amesti is on there!

Pretty sure that list is incomplete. Because, just a quick glance, according to that the T5, T5 Insert, Woodstock Keystone, and the Woodstock Palladian are not listed.

BrowningBAR said:
Pretty sure that list is incomplete. Because, just a quick glance, according to that the T5, T5 Insert, Woodstock Keystone, and the Woodstock Palladian are not listed.

Unless those are EPA exempt I suppose. Also, if that's the case, what's the point of even having the list?

Status
Not open for further replies.