Englander model 17-vl stove installation and review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished installing my new englander 17vl. It looks nice but on my second break in burn (30 min 450F) the stove started to smoke badly. I thought the paint will peal off. Fire alarm went off 3 times with all windows open. I am afread to start it again.

Help Please.

Like woody stover said this is normal "baking" .
Nothing to worry about, it will go away after a couple of burns.

I try to run steady at 450F, (12 oclock on my gauge)
But have hit 550+ before for short periods with no problems.

Nah, the paint's just curing, not gonna peel. 450 is hot enough to get some serious paint smoke. That burn probably got most of it, but you'll get a little more each time your stove hits a new high temp. I put a box fan in a nearby window, then open another window across the room, to evacuate the smoke as quickly as possible.

Thanks ! I tried it again, got it to about 500 and it seem the amount of smoke subsided. Surprisingly there is nothing about it in the manual :).

Also the glass is getting darker and darker with slight orange color. Is there anything I can do to clean it.

Ky Stove, I was looking at your photos as I'm planning an Englander 17 install, you did a nice job! I couldn't help but notice your little Tivoli Radio One, and if I am correct it's the special edition with the gloss surface? I have one too lol. Any troubles with the tuner?

Good eyes!
Picks up more stations than anything I have ever heard, or knew were available.

I use that tuner cleaner stuff you can get at radio shack to clean the on/off button and tuner controls.
Seems to do the trick. It's easy to take apart. The tuner is sooo sensitive.

Good luck with your stove install. Keep us posted!

I ran into an issue with the tuner where it wouldn't hold a station and it was very difficult to tune one in, Tivoli said to turn the tuner dial quickly from one end to the other over and over again for a few minutes to "redistribute the grease and clean the contacts". I didn't think it would work but it's like new again, and the knob turns much more easily now. But I find I have to do it every few months, maybe I'll try your method next!

Status
Not open for further replies.