Englander NC 30 (AM I DOING THIS RIGHT?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernienomoreoil

Sep 30, 2010
Poconos, PA
SO I finally installed the NC 30 and I have a few questions:

1- After I get the stove up and running from a bed of coals, I add 4-5 splits and close the door with the control open all the way; at this point the stove gets up to 600 after about 15-20 minutes, if I shut the air control all the way down I can see the secondary burn for about 30-40 minutes but then it dies down. the Stove will remain at about 350-450 what do I do just leave the control all the way closed or open.

Can anyone tell me what and how am I to operate this stove correctly, If anyone has the time can you send me a summary of step by step of what to do, also how long am I supposed to see the flames for.

There are no hard and fast rules about running any stove. Too many variables concerning chimney, wood and a half dozen others. Try this. With a bed of coals and the stove top down to around 350-400 put in your load of wood. When the stove top is up to around five hundred push the air control in an inch or so. Then another inch or so around five fifty or six hundred. By now you are getting close to where a lot of 30- NC owners find to be the sweet spot. That being where the tip of the spring on the air control rod is even with the front of the ash lip. Many people find that at that sitting the big boy just sits there and cruises. With good wood and a good draft.

Modify that technique as required by your setup and fuel.

Edit: Don't get all tangled up in how long you see a light show up at the baffle. What you are looking for is heat. That comes from a combination of flames coming off the wood and the secondary tubes picking off the stray gases that didn't burn off of the wood.

It sounds like you are starting the stove properly and have dry wood.

If your glass starts turning hazy / brown then you are closing the primary air down too far when you let it go into "cruise" mode and are smoldering the fire.

For the draft that my stove has, I have to leave my primary air open a little bit or else I'll have visible smoke from the chimney and the glass will darken.

pen

BrotherBart said:
There are no hard and fast rules about running any stove. Too many variables concerning chimney, wood and a half dozen others. Try this. With a bed of coals and the stove top down to around 350-400 put in your load of wood. When the stove top is up to around five hundred push the air control in an inch or so. Then another inch or so around five fifty or six hundred. By now you are getting close to where a lot of 30- NC owners find to be the sweet spot. That being where the tip of the spring on the air control rod is even with the front of the ash lip. Many people find that at that sitting the big boy just sits there and cruises. With good wood and a good draft.

Modify that technique as required by your setup and fuel.

Edit: Don't get all tangled up in how long you see a light show up at the baffle. What you are looking for is heat. That comes from a combination of flames coming off the wood and the secondary tubes picking off the stray gases that didn't burn off of the wood.

so how long should I see the flames, approx. it seems like I see a lot more of coals than flames. When Do I get a shirt ?

I fired my 13 nci up for the first time awhile back.

Never heard anything about a free shirt?

Hope you get one.

I am really enjoying the new insert.

Had a fireplace only last year used alot of wood.

Enjoy your new stove.

Neal

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 203
Status
Not open for further replies.