Englander NC-30 Blower - Opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
Another quick question with regards to the Englander NC-30.

Does anyone use the Englander blower for this stove and if so, what's your opinon? Are the side shields required for it?

Thanks,
Bill

leeave96 said:
Another quick question with regards to the Englander NC-30.

Does anyone use the Englander blower for this stove and if so, what's your opinon? Are the side shields required for it?

Thanks,
Bill

BBart does. And his broke recently. He's been using small fans as a substitute, I believe.

One poster here said the blower cools the stove down too much,probably better off with a ceiling fan.

I've just started with the nc30 in Jan with the blower. It works very good. I dont have a problem at all with cool the fire box.

The blower is kind of pricey at $180 in some cases. It seems to me most of the heat comes off the top of this stove so a ceiling fan or some type of fan blowing down across the stove top works very well for me. MY harman on the other hand is designed with the blower pushing air around the very high temp afterburner unit so i have the blower to soak heat out of the 1500-2000 deg. AB chamber as it goes right up the chimney from there.

I've had a blower for two seasons and no trouble so far. It CAN cool off the firebox if you run it too soon, but it is variable speed, and you can run it pretty low if you want. It does definitely move the air around.

I purchased my blower from AMFMEnergy.com for $150. They are neighbor's with Englander.

Dave11 your right it can cool the box if your just starting the fire. Anything over 250-300 stove top I turn on the fan. Nothing stops it at that point.

$180 seems pricey until you see that other stove maker's get $250 and up for their blowers. Seems like they are a good blower. I just had a iffy bearing in mine and since I had the thing on the back of that beast inside the fireplace I kept hoping is was a vibration noise. The fan finally crapped out, screaming bearing, in the fifth season. I am sure that if I could have gotten to it a little oil would have taken care of it or that ESW would have replaced it. My bad.

They move a lot of air to heat the place up fast when you need it.

Edit: Side shields not required. It mounts on the standard rear heat shield.

BrotherBart said:
$180 seems pricey until you see that other stove maker's get $250 and up for their blowers. Seems like they are a good blower. I just had a iffy bearing in mine and since I had the thing on the back of that beast inside the fireplace I kept hoping is was a vibration noise. The fan finally crapped out, screaming bearing, in the fifth season. I am sure that if I could have gotten to it a little oil would have taken care of it or that ESW would have replaced it. My bad.

They move a lot of air to heat the place up fast when you need it.

Edit: Side shields not required. It mounts on the standard rear heat shield.

Brother Bart, if I may...

This is a pic of the rear of the stove. Where you see the 4 screws that hold that rectangular piece of metal onto the rear heat shield, is what you would remove, and install the fan unit on to; the heat shield that is.

Attachments

• 100_0029.jpg
    100_0029.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 343
That's the place.

If you want to get an idea how the blower will do, just lay a fan on its back aimed up between the heat shield and the stove body. Not touching the stove of course. But it will give you an idea of the airflow over the top of the stove.

An inactive member, Roospike, has this third party blower setup for his PE Summit. Cheaper than the $250 for the PE blower. It should work the same for a 30-NC.

Attachments

• roospike blower.jpg
    roospike blower.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 415
Status
Not open for further replies.