Englander nc30 burning problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it seems like the draft control on the stove isn't functioning properly , i get one inch of pull in each direction , is this normal ?

Wait, what?

You only get 1 inch of travel on the push/pull air control rod under the ash lip? Mine (30) has 4.75" of travel ;?

Edit: he has a 17vl, which does have 1" of travel.

Last edited:
Also check around for slab wood. Usually dry and packs nice.

Wait, what?

You only get 1 inch of travel on the push/pull air control rod under the ash lip? Mine has 4.75" of travel ;?

This one is a 17-VL, not a 30. Never seen one, no idea what they are like, other than very small.

draft control travel on the 17-vl is quite short "an inch" is relatively accurate , other of our units have a longer travel than that.

im with the gang here in most of the suggestions.

simply put a modern reburn stove by definition is "resistant" to draft which is part of why they can be finicky with certain flue applications. when the door is cracked there is no resistance so the fire will rip along even if there is a flue issue , but whne the door is closed the issue shows up.

shorter flues, tight houses, installation in a single story section of a 2 story house can be a nighhtmare if not done properly as well.

New Englander NC30, old drafty house, 9ft of single wall to ceiling, 12 feet triple wall to roof straight up. 3 ft above the peak. Having issues with wood smoldering, not burning hot. With door closed, no flames. Smoke is going up chimney ok, definitely not blocked. Suspect wood issues. What is best way to determine this? Anything else I should consider? It is 50+ outside...
The draft air control rod has broken inside the wood stove and become dislodged barely allowing it to function properly which is now forcing you to open the door to get a hot fire. I have the NC30 and have the exact problem. One day I actually felt the rod go off its linkage or its weld while in my hand I cant tell because there are no schematics of it from the manufacturer online. Since that very moment I have been cracking the door open to get a real fire with seasoned wood. Sometimes I press it to the left or the right and kinda pull on it slow hoping to catch so it opens,.... I am a DIY guy so I would fix it myself it is a bummer that I dont know how to get to it or if its welded shut so you cant get to it. I love this stove but its a major design flaw

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.