Englander NC30 Fan Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westside

Mar 3, 2010
Indiana
I recently purchased an NC30 and need some input from others who own this model and purchased the fan also.

1. Is the fan really needed?
2. Is there some type of heat activated switch that will turn the fan on and off at lower temps?
3. Does the fan have different speeds? If so, is it loud on high speed?
4. Does the fan come in handy to cool the stove top temps when and if they spike up to high?
5. Does the secondaries react differently when using the fan?

The reason I ask is directly below where the fan bolts up appears to be the air intake for the secondary air.
the opening measures 1" X 2" rectangular. I am not talking about the 3" outside air hookup located just below it.
It looks like if the fan was running it would also blow air into the the secondaries unless the fan comes with some
type of shroud that forces the air up and past the secondary inlet.

Thanks for any and all information!!!

1. Is the fan really needed?

I need it because my stove is half in and half out of the fireplace.

2. Is there some type of heat activated switch that will turn the fan on and off at lower temps?

No. I use a third party unit called a StoveStat to provide that service.

3. Does the fan have different speeds? If so, is it loud on high speed?

Yes. It has a rheostat with infinite speed control from off to full speed. Loud is in the ear of the beholder. If it is cold enough that you are burning the 30 flat out and with the blower on high, you won't care if it sounds like a jet engine. Which is does not.

4. Does the fan come in handy to cool the stove top temps when and if they spike up to high?

That ain't the fan's job. It is your job not to over fire the stove.

5. Does the secondaries react differently when using the fan?

No.

Thanks BB. I will give the ceiling fans a try first and see how that works. Was i correct on thinking the small rectangular opening just above the out side air hook up is for the secondary air to enter the stove ?

Yep. That's it. And the hole behind each front leg feeds the blowtorch that stands up in the middle of the front of the stove.

Sounds like mine.
Is this the same on the 13?

Status
Not open for further replies.