Englander NCI13 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie 08

Jan 3, 2008
Central Indiana
I am still trying to decide on an insert but the 13NCI is high on the list but I have some specific questions. 1st off, is it possible to get a bigger surround. I am not sure that the one included will be large enough. My current insert has a surround of 34"x46" and I believe (haven't taken it off to verify) that it is really not extending very much over the brick. The nci surround is listed at 30"x42" and I am not sure that would work. Also, what is the burn time one of these? Is it capable of having all night and all day (8-10 hour) burns? Lowes said they could special order it for 1150. Should I be able to do better on the price?

That is a medium small firebox, and burn times will depend on your wood, draft and other factors.

As to the surround panel, their web site does not show larger ones, but they may make them semi-custom...or there are other ways they can be fit. It should be easy to slip yours out a bit and hook a tape measure behind to see what your existing panels cover.

As to price, I try to discourage "shopping by forum", because someone might find a great deal on one side of the country (one of a kind), but it usually does not apply to anyone else. Best to let your feet, your mouse and google do any comparison shopping in terms of price. Englander has multiple dealers listed on their web site, so you can call or visit the closest one.

In terms of burn time and output, please see the attached chart which a fellow forum member and I are working on. This gives the approx. output of that unit over various burn times.

In general, you should consider outputs of less than 12-15,000 BTU difficult to attain (so even though chart lists potential longer burns at low outputs, they are not always easy to do).

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 360
Firebox on that is only 10% bigger, so just increase the figures about by 10%.

But, most importantly, fit the size to your actual needs....only you know how big your wood pile is, how you want to use it, how large of an area you want to heat, etc.

In general, for long 8-10 hours burns on a REGULAR basis, most folks here would suggest going over 2 cubic feet with a cat stove or over 2.3 or so with a non-cat stoves.....even bigger on some non-cats.

Hopefully, you have looked at:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/choosing_a_wood_stove

to assess your basic needs. Note that a lot of folks also consider stoves placed in front of the fireplace - for more efficiency and longer burns.

In case you are interested, we have the same insert, special ordered from Home Depot for right around that price, and we really like it. If we don't stoke the fire during the night, we wake up to a slightly chilled room (no heatsource downstairs yet) but enough embers to ignite a larger fire in no time.

I have a 3100i and while I think it's a great stove,if it I wasn't required to have it because of my ZC fireplace I'd have the Englander.

You're going to spend likely $1600+ for a 3100i and you can get a 13NCI for way less than that.

I don't think you could go wrong with either stove. I believe the Englander is a front-back loader like my Quad.

Status
Not open for further replies.