Englander - New Old Stock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
One of the woodstove stores I visited has a BRAND NEW old stock Englander 24-ACD. This is a step top stove with a catalyist combuster and a glass door. The stove has tubes running through the step top, which I gather one would hook a blower to? The stove was more tall and long vs wide. It was very heavy duty looking with some massive welds on it. The date on the ID tag was 06/02 and the price was $899.

From Englander's website, here the specs on the stove:

Specifications for 24-ACD, 24-FC, 50-SHW24 and 50-SHW16/16L, and 50-TRW24 and 50-TRW16
(Catalytic)
Dimensions …………………………… 21â€W x 33†H x 24 ½â€D
Weight ………………………………... Approx. 495 lbs.
Heating Capacity ………….. Approx. 1,800 sq. ft. (24-FC, 50-SHW16/16L and 50-TRW16)
Approx. 2,000 sq. ft. (24-ACD, 50-SHW24 and 50-TRW24)
Max. Log Length …………………….. 20â€
Door Opening Size …………………… 12†x 13â€
Window Opening …………………….. 8 ½†x 8 ½â€
Flue Size I.D. ………………………… 6â€
Flue Hgt. To Top Exhaust …………… 36â€
Flue Hgt. To Rear Exh. Center ……….. 26 ½â€
AC-G9 Glass ………………………… 9†x 9â€
AC-16 Blower ……………………… Standard on 24-ACD, 50-SHW24 and 50-TRW24
Type of Fuel …………………………. Wood
Options:
Brass Lip Trim ……………………… AC-102 (SH-102 for Summers Heat)
Brass Window Trim ………………… AC-106-P (SH-106-P for Summers Heat)
Rear and Side Heat Shield ….. AC-AHS (SH-HS22 for Summers Heat)-for models with
blower only; otherwise AC-FHS for radiant models (AC-FHSB if black)

If I had a place, I'd buy it - just because... ;)

Bill

It's pedestal only? I'd be afraid to anger the gods bringing that into the house.

From what I recall, reports were that was a decent stove.

Looks like Englander still stocks all the parts too. 179 for the cat.

pen

Am actually burning the Englander 24-ACD in my basement as I type. Like the stove a lot, but replacing/cleaning the cat is a big pain. Have to remove a fire shield and then a collar, can bearly fit two arms through the door and hold the weight of the fire shield plate while you try to remove the stuck fast nuts. That's the main reason I'm replacing it. However, very well made/sturdy.

Dr. Richards said:
Am actually burning the Englander 24-ACD in my basement as I type. Like the stove a lot, but replacing/cleaning the cat is a big pain. Have to remove a fire shield and then a collar, can bearly fit two arms through the door and hold the weight of the fire shield plate while you try to remove the stuck fast nuts. That's the main reason I'm replacing it. However, very well made/sturdy.

i know a bit easier way to pull that cat if you need to do it in the future give me a call and i'll go over it with you.

the ACD is actually a great unit , i burned one for about 12 years in my house before switching to pellet.

stoveguy2esw said:
Dr. Richards said:

i know a bit easier way to pull that cat if you need to do it in the future give me a call and i'll go over it with you.

the ACD is actually a great unit , i burned one for about 12 years in my house before switching to pellet.

I guess if you had it for 12 years you must have been happy with it. I am curious about the easier way to take the cat out. To make matters worse the heat shield is warped so it makes it even more difficult to slide back onto the studs. BTW, what is the firebox size on this model in cubic feet?

I had one of those years ago and yes the cat was really hard to get at. Now I got to know-what's the better way to get at the cat to clean it? This is one of the reasons I sold it.

Status
Not open for further replies.