1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Englander & OAK, think I bought the wrong stove :(

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by momof2nutlings, Aug 16, 2012.

1. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Is that flex pipe insulated?(the bigger one)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. momof2nutlings

momof2nutlings Member

Loc:
    CT
    Yep, I'm a worrier, and I figure the timbers in my house have been seasoning since 1830. Anything extra between them and heat is a good thing!
    smoke show likes this.
  3. 61snowrider

61snowrider Member

Loc:
    Central Pa.
    I noticed in your signature that you have 4 stoves!! I also have a St. Croix. How does this stove compare to the other stoves you have? Also, did you run an oak with your St. Croix? I have my stove for 7 years now and have no oak. I was wondering if this would help it burn better?
  4. 61snowrider

61snowrider Member

Loc:
    Central Pa.
    How did you insulate the flex pipe? Just put insulation between the pipe and wall?
  5. momof2nutlings

momof2nutlings Member

Loc:
    CT
    I like the St. Croix very much. Dependable heat, easy to use, easy to access all the spots to clean. I do like the PDVC very much too, but cleaning it is a little different - almost requires the vacuum to get all the spots.

As for the others, I do love my insert the best. It's lovely to sit in front of, which the pellet stoves just aren't. And I have never found a free bag of pellets on the side of the road - wood however is plentiful. But it requires so much more fussing, being a wood stove and all. I imagine the day will come when slicing and dicing and carrying wood just isn't so much fun...

As for insulation, we got special stove pipe insulation, similar to this: http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/insulation_features.php

Wrapped it around before we popped the pipe in, taped it in place, and dropped it down the chimney. Easy to do, relatively cheap for the peace of mind.