Englander & OAK, think I bought the wrong stove :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I'm a worrier, and I figure the timbers in my house have been seasoning since 1830. Anything extra between them and heat is a good thing!

Reactions: smoke show
I noticed in your signature that you have 4 stoves!! I also have a St. Croix. How does this stove compare to the other stoves you have? Also, did you run an oak with your St. Croix? I have my stove for 7 years now and have no oak. I was wondering if this would help it burn better?

I like the St. Croix very much. Dependable heat, easy to use, easy to access all the spots to clean. I do like the PDVC very much too, but cleaning it is a little different - almost requires the vacuum to get all the spots.

As for the others, I do love my insert the best. It's lovely to sit in front of, which the pellet stoves just aren't. And I have never found a free bag of pellets on the side of the road - wood however is plentiful. But it requires so much more fussing, being a wood stove and all. I imagine the day will come when slicing and dicing and carrying wood just isn't so much fun...

As for insulation, we got special stove pipe insulation, similar to this: http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/insulation_features.php

Wrapped it around before we popped the pipe in, taped it in place, and dropped it down the chimney. Easy to do, relatively cheap for the peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.