Englander PDV-25 Burn Pot Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poopiebritches, when I said technician I meant a local guy who cleans pellet stoves for a living. I watched him the first time and he was VERY thorough and explained every step that he was doing so that I could learn and do it myself with the right equipment (ash vac with a soot snake attachment) and save myself some money each year. The only thing I don't have is the flexible chimney pipe broom which I di call him for this season and he cleaned it but said it actually wasn't too dirty. I did a complete cleaning in the late Fall right before the heating season started and took off the room blower and cleaned that (what a gigantic pain in the ass that is...especially trying to put it back on the stove...you practically have to be a contortionist or need a 3rd arm). I will admit I'm sometimes a slacker on the weekly cleanings but when I do clean it I make sure everything is as spotless as I can get it. I'll test the door but that seems to close pretty securely.

Did you remove and clean the exhaust blower when you did the fall cleaning? How many tons have been through the stove since that cleaning?

I would pull the exhaust blower and clean the vent before I even started looking at anything. Doesn't cost anything besides time, just be careful with the gasket on the blower or have a spare ready.

rexrules that will be my last resort...I really hate taking that room blower unit off because it's such a pain to put back on...lol. I would definitely prefer only having to do that once per year :). As for how many tons I've burned so far this winter I would say maybe 2 tons (98% were the LG's). I might be able to get in there with my soot snake and at least clean the screen of the room blower if that is clogged. I guess if I absolutely HAVE to remove that unit and clean it I will but I'm definitely going to exhaust (no pun intended...lol) all other possibilities first!

rexrules that will be my last resort...I really hate taking that room blower unit off because it's such a pain to put back on...lol. I would definitely prefer only having to do that once per year :). As for how many tons I've burned so far this winter I would say maybe 2 tons (98% were the LG's). I might be able to get in there with my soot snake and at least clean the screen of the room blower if that is clogged. I guess if I absolutely HAVE to remove that unit and clean it I will but I'm definitely going to exhaust (no pun intended...lol) all other possibilities first!
He did say exhaust blower, not convection(room) blower. Exhaust blower is quick to remove an reinstall. If you don't have a gasket, you'll want to be careful not to rip it(good luck).
I have used high temp silicone in a pinch (Imperial brand from HD if I recall), along with what's left of the gasket with no issues.

Yeah, you want the exhaust blower not the room blower. Pretty easy to remove and I have used high temp silicone also when I ripped the gasket.

Just knowing how my pdvc acts I am pretty certain that it is either dirty exhaust blower or venting, or both. I have been cleaning the blower and the venting every ton this season and the stove has been running much better this year.

Reactions: Lake Girl
OIC...you're talking the combustion blower fan on the left side of the stove...yeah, that one's cake to clean (except for that stupid little fabric gasket that falls apart just by you looking at it...lol). Next time I shut the stove down I'll make sure to clean that...it's just hard to shut the stove down as it's been so cold up here you don't ever want to turn your stove off :D.

Two tons burned, is enough to soot up a vent, unless it's 4" and not 3".

Status
Not open for further replies.